Cockeyed spark plug

Problem: After pulling my '74 SB's 1600 DP engine for manifold work (I've almost got that damned heat riser cleaned out), I noticed that the spark plug in cylinder #3 is seated into the head cockeyed. Apparently someone before me (honest . . . It wasn't me, I just got this car) must have inadvertently screwed it in at a slight angle. The weird part about this is that the engine seems to run just fine with it in that way. Anything I should watch out for? Is it safe to continue to run the engine with the plug in this way? What kind of repair ($) would I be looking at to get it corrected, or is junking the head for a new one my only real option?

-Rich

Reply to
Richard Golding

re-thread (straight) for a Timesert steel thread insert, or (preferred method) have it welded shut, re-drilled and tapped for original thread size.

On the other hand, if it stays on good and the threads seem ok, why do anything... Maybe one of the previous owners did install a thread insert already, and it went in cockeyed like that..

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson