current state of the start

The 78 bus idled and restarted and idled again fairly well today after a highway run. I threw in most of Marvel Mystery snake oil in the crank (after draining a bit [by running the engine with the valve covers off]) and the rest in the fuel tank. Ran it and made sure to keep my revs UP, on the way back i ran her for about a mile in 3rd at around 50. Still idles fine, and the vacuum needle is damn near steady. My exhaust leak GREW, however.

She runs and starts decently, but once again it's back to having to floor it to start it. an odd machine this old bus is. Still haven't figured out whether it's a tune away from a 30k+ extended life, or if its about to gasp it's last breath.

Reply to
matthew j henschel

What were the quantitative results of the fuel line pressure tests?? Especially whether it holds any pressure after shutdown.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

The jury's still out. I'll see tomorrow about a fuel pressure gauge.

-Matt

Reply to
matthew j henschel

The trick on the injector plugs is no trick at all. Just pull. The coldstart injector is a likely culprit. It should not be necessary for starting (should!) You test for leaky injectors by using the pressure gauge and seeing how long it holds pressure - If it doesn't, there is! I like the MMOil try - maybe a solution. It's easy to change a lifter, too. About a half hour job, but then you gotta get it to pump up. Maybe after more clues point to the lifter you can swap it while changing pushrod tube seals. Maybe even just swap it and one closer to the oil pump! Yes, there are wear patterns. Who cares? I mean if you were expecting it to be perfect and dependable to tour the hemisphere in, yeah, do it right... Otherwise, do it to make do.

Vacuum needle? You have a vacuum gauge? Well! You know exactly what is going on with that #3 cylinder if you have a vacuum gauge. Hmmm. Vacuum gauge doesn't show as well if it's an exhaust valve, does it? Should still blip do to lower vacuum produced at #3 though. (My teacher insisted on not using vacuum as I have used it in that sentence! He always took the long way around, stressing a "lack of atmospheric pressure!")

today after a

in the crank

valve covers off]) and

my revs UP, on the

Still idles fine,

leak GREW, however.

having to floor it

haven't figured out

its about to gasp

Reply to
Busahaulic

Here's what Bentley says: "Hot start - Engine starts hard or fails to start when warm a) Insufficient residual fuel pressure b) Cold start valve (injector) leaking or operating continuously c) Fuel pressure incorrect d) Air flow meter faulty"

"Corrective action: a) test residual pressure b) test cold start valve and thermo-time switch c) test fuel pressure d) test airflow meter"

"Engine stalls or idles roughly (cold or warm) a)Vacuum (intake air) leak b)Idle system faulty"

"Corrective action: a)Check for leaks b)Test auxiliary air regulator (or idle speed stabilizer)"

Residual pressure testing: Hook up gauge (You can relieve pressure in the line by a hand-vacuum pump to the pressure regulator so it releases pressure to the tank OR remove the fuse for the fuel pump and run the engine til it dies OR wrap a rag around the connector while you loosen the plug so gas doesn't spray everywhere) Now you can either start the engine or induce the fuel pump to run (you already know how - the vane in the airflow meter) Pressure should be about 2 bar (about 29psi at sea level with no hurricanes nearby!) (With the vacuum line to the regulator pinched off from vacuum or open to atmosphere it should be about 2.5 bar (about 36psi.) Shut the engine off and check the pressure. It should not drop significantly. It should be able to hold about 1bar or more for about 20 minutes.

If you have a set of those nifty plastic clamps for pinching off hoses, (if you don't, get at least a pair, two pair is better!) you can pinch off each injector individually and do the test five more times. Be really careful at this, as the flex lines to the injectors are very short and have been subjected to lots of heat so are possible very brittle.

You can eliminate the air bypass valve as a suspect by either pinching off the lines on each side of it (remember - brittle!) or pulling the lines off and plugging the holes with corks temporarily.

Anything else?

-BH

Reply to
Busahaulic

That sounds pretty comprehensive. I did pull the plug to the injector yesterday night in addition to some other goofing around with it, so I'm not sure if it was the sticky valve or the cold start injector fix that made it idle and start more consitantly. I'm guessing that it was valve trouble all along though, just sticking intermittantly. Who knows if it's the guides, the lifter, or the seat...

I'll check out the fuel rail for kicks anyway, as soon as I get my new exhaust manifold in and find another gas cap (I misplaced mine somewhere this morning due to lack of sleep :-( )

thanks again for the ideas & support.

-Matt

Reply to
matthew j henschel

I was wondering about that lack of sleep issue! Oh yeah, you need to relieve any pressure that may reside in the tank also!

I get my new

mine somewhere

Reply to
Busahaulic