Deep in brown stuff

Discovered my distributor drive gear was assembled as per a Beetle ( offset more or less at right angles to camshaft) rather than at ~60Deg for my Type 3. Ran out of adjust on timing because vacuum Can hits Fuel pump. Pleasant morning thinks I. Pull the Dist/Fuel pump out, realign drive gear, no problem. Except the poxxy bakelite guide tube broke in half. Bottom half is firmly in engine block. Any suggestions on how to get the !@#$ out. Thought I might try tapping it , screwing a long bolt in and brute force upwards on bolt . Obviously I,m concerned at stray bits of bakelite getting into the works. Any other suggestions except put a 009 in without a vac can?. I,ve just reassembled the thing, runs ok. John

Reply to
John

The broken off piece is stuck in there pretty good. If you bolt the top half over it like it used to sit, the lower piece won't have anywhere to go. It can't slip through downwards, it can only ride up if it ever gets loose. And if you have the top half there... well.. nothing will happen or move. I would fix it eventually, but I have driven like this for years without a problem. I don't recommend it, but I doubt that it would cause any big harm. Worst case I suppose is fuel pump rod binding?

To remove the stuck piece, you need to use a slide hammer with a suitable (self made) extension that would reach down there, through the bakelite, and grab it from the other side. You may get pieces of bakelite breaking off and ending up at the bottom of the case. Be careful

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Rob from "Rob and Daves aircooled Vw pages" mentioned a useful last resort for getting bottom half of tube out. Stuff as much grease caked rag down hole as one one can fit with a piece of string left coming back up pushrod hole. As bits are broken off they fall and stick on grease on rag. Use string to pull up rag when all fragments out. Otherway was a step further than my idea. Use two rods instead of one with a lip on the end to grip both sides, a strip of metal down centre to "jam" it in place. Then use a captive weight as an impact hammer. I,ll start grinding and shaping this weekend. I,ll let you which works. John

Reply to
John