Distributor Rotor Fit Problem

Working on a new engine. It has a bad misfiring condition, and no wonder.

See these pictures

This rotor is over an electronic ignition. Don't know what kind yet. It is a rev-limiter type rotor.

It does not fit properly under the 009 distributor cap. See in 'rotor1.jpg' - where the sprung carbon contact is supposed to touch, there is an impression of the rotor cap. The cap actually wiggles a bit when seated.

Is there anything I can do to make it work?

Can I just put in a regular points-type rotor instead?

I'd really like to get this on the road and if I can't make this distributor to work, I'm going swap it for the Mallory out of the good Bug.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Labor Day

John

Reply to
John Stafford

John, I have that same rotor on a locked out 009 with a pertronix.... it

*should* work for ya there... I've read, but never experienced, that there is sometimes some interference with the aftermarket modules and the rotor, making it necessary to grind a little of the bottom of the rotor off so it will seat all the way down... worth checking.
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hey, Chris. Ya know what was wrong? I was trying to put it in 180 degrees backwards. Gawd, somebody lock me away before I hurt myself!

Can I also use the stock rotor in the Pertronix?

Glad to see you out there, Chris. Thanks.

Now back to replacing the high-speed bumper bolts. Say, and which side is Left, and what's these things I got left over, kinda floppy vents with a long rod with a tiny round copper accordion thing on the end, and which way does the clutch fit, and where do I add water?

Dangerous. And sober to boot! Imagine...

Reply to
John Stafford

I sent you an E-mail, John.... you can use a stock rotor, no problem... I like the rev-limiting rotor myself..

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

You beat me to the problem and solution. Don't beat yourself up over it, you're not the only one to do that.

I sat for hours 1 night trying to figure out why the distributor wasn't going all the way in. Of course, 180 degrees off. That will teach me to work on the car sober.

Randy

Reply to
Randy