Dowel lost within engine case!!!

Man did I screw up. I'm reassembling my engine and I went to put the first dowel in (closest to flywheel) and I stuck it in the hole where oil comes out. I realized this might not be the right spot as I let go and it slid down into the case and far, far away from me. So, anyone, how am I going to retrieve my dowel so as to not ruin my newly rebuilt engine when I go to run it?

Any help is sooooo greatly appreciated.

*sigh*

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn M Hannon

Magnet? Shake the thing upside down? Blow air in from the other main bearing hole in the next bearing saddle while trying to cover all the other holes with your finger, except the obvious one you want to leave open?

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I would say the air too, but try to catch that dowel on a towel or something. good luck, you will find it! ;-) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Yes, turn the case split down so that gravity is on your side. Put a towel down so that you will be SURE to find the dowel once it comes out. You aren't done until you've got that dowel out. Otherwise this is a complete show-stopper.

-

Jim Adney

I meant to post a follow up a while back. Thanks for the suggestions. The compressed air didn't work. I don't know how far down in there this thing is but it didn't pop out. Soooo...I'm getting a used engine case. It's the right thing to do.

Vaughn M Hannon

If you pulled the oil galley plugs off to get good access to the passages for cleaning, (like you should :) ) you could have gotten it out from the large main galley where it fell into.

Jan

Vaughn M Hann>

Reply to
Jan Andersson