easier way to set front camber to zero?

Hey all. With the purchase of wider wheels and tires on the way, my

73 std. beetle will recieve some 185/65/15 tires up front. Currently, it has the good ol' 165R15's on it. The front wheels have noticable positive camber. I'm fairly sure that this is the correct setup for the skinny tires. BUT, with the addition of wider tires, this seems like it's not such a great idea to leave the camber as it is. I do not want to ask a shop to set the wheels at zero degrees camber; I don['t have time to LEAVE my car at a shop.

Is there a special homemade jig I can create to set my front wheels at zero to *ever* so slightly negative camber? I know where the adjusting nut is and all that, I just want an accurate way to measure the camber changes I'm making.

Thanks for any help.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

How about using a builder's square from the floor to the sidewall on the tire?

Reply to
Douglas

That's actually not a bad idea! Do it on a nice level (flat) section of concrete. Recheck after rolling the car a foot or so. And check the toe-in afterward.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

....DUH! *slaps forhead* Now why didn't I think o' that?

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Don't try to measure against the sidewall, because that will be bulged on the bottom where the tire contacts the ground. If your rims are straight you can measure to the rim, or go against the tire somewhat forward or back from the contact patch.

-

Jim Adney