Engine Builder Poll

So I see GEX take a lot of heat. So I thought I would take a poll. May have missed it if you all already responed. If not please chim in and let me know (and the rest of us) who the good engine builders are.

Personally I am interested in 1776cc.

Reply to
Spookie

Jake Raby

Though he specializes in type 4 upright conversions, and might not do any type 1 engines anymore. But I can't say that with full confidence.

But I can say he builds great motors and I'm looking at one of his (mine) right now. 156 ft/lbs of torque @ 3500rpm, I can't complain. /me says as he finishes prepping it to take down to the shop for the swap starting tomorrow

Reply to
David Gravereaux

I like looking for someone in the local area. Here is my litmus test to see if they have a chance in building me a good engine:

"What do you do with the cooling flaps in the VW engine?"

if the answer is "You don't need those flaps," then I RUN!

Why not get an engine kit from a reputable company instead and build it yourself? You surely would do a better job than the folks at GEX if you did a bit of research and paid attention to detail. But the key is if your gf/wife will let you...(especially when you need to use the kitchen sink to wash some parts)

-GE

Reply to
geoffers

Or the oven to bake the paint on your new backing plates and drums HeHe...

"What the hell are you doing??!! It smells like burnt rubber in here!!"

Reply to
David Gravereaux

The dishwasher does a hellofa job on grimy engine cases!

~Troy

Reply to
Bugzilla

Where?