Straight cut cam gears

Was noise the only reason why VW went with helical gears? There must have been a real good Engineering reason why VW (or maybe other car companies) decided to forego straight cut cam gears. Maybe a bit of side loading is good (needed) although from what I read, to get better performance and less pressure on your cam bearing face, ya gotta have the straight cuts (and the noise).

Anyone have some thoughts on this? Would straight cuts be necessary if you have some dual spring Berg heads? Perhaps, I will try straight cut instead.

-GE

Reply to
geoffers

Lloyd McClelland

Aircooled.net might not carry the "low helix" gear sets anymore. I bought a set some time ago and John mentioned he might drop them due to low interest. Don't see them on the site anywhere. Mine work fine - not much noise.

RT

Reply to
Raymond Lowe

arrgh. That's just too bad. If there were such a thing as "low helix" gears, I'd figure they would be more appropriate for the majority of those street performance motors out there. I just get the feeling that straight cuts are really for those race motors that get torn down after every race or something like that.

-GE

Reply to
geoffers