engine building book opinions sought

I'm wondering if anybody has read Tom Wilson's "How to rebuild your Volkswagen Aircooled Engine" & would care to share their opinion as to whether it is worth the $. I'm specifically interested if the diagnostic section is worthwhile. TIA - DB

Reply to
DB

I think its a great book, it helped me greatly on my first tear down/rebuild (and still does whenever I tear into others). I'll be honest and say that I heave never payed all that much attention to the "diagnosis" parts of the book, other than to verify. I know one thing that is a no-no thats suggested by him is to mill down piston tops but other than that its all pretty good.

Got alot of good info for less than 20 bucks! Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

that is a very good book, well worth the $.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

The only bad thing I have to say is to be very thoughtful when loading the crank and rods into the case, as the procedure in the book is incorrect. I kept thinking I must have read it wrong and re-read many times, line-by-line and it still came out wrong. Everything else was extremely helpful. -BaH

rebuild your

opinion as to

the diagnostic

Reply to
Busahaulic

Thanks for the replies. I look forward to reading it. - DB

Reply to
DB

On that subject: sometime before the end of summer, I will be putting the Wonderbus's engine back together. If Wilson's procedure for loading the crank and rods is incorrect, I'll need an accurate procedure. Can someone provide a pointer?

BTW -- this engine built 5,000 miles ago by VW Paradise and sold to the PO as new is just as crappy inside the case as outside the case. I found a broken-off valve adjuster bolt inside.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot