Fuel milage drop after SVDA install?!

I installed AC.net's svda dizzy on my 73 std. Beetle's totally stock engine about a month ago. The car runs great now, is more responsive, and that damn hesitation is gone. Great. Problem solved. Or is it? I have noticed that my fuel milage has DROPPED about 4-5 MPG since installing the dizzy. I thought it was supposed to go up?! Also, the engine appears to be running a little hotter than it used to with the

009 dizzy. I can tell by grabbing the dipstick after a run. Not cooking hot; I can still hold the dipstick, but it is definately warmer than it was. I also thought the SVDA was supposed to lower engine temps slightly, at least on the freeway which is where I spend a lot of time.

So what gives? My first assumption, of course, was that it is not timed correctly. But could that really give me such a noticable drop in fuel milage? I static timed the SVDA to 8.5' BTDC: 7.5' BTDC plus

1' for my high altitude (averaging between 5000 and 7000 ft above sea level during my daily drive). I do not have a strobe timing light, nor do I understand how the hell to use one. But I think it may be my only solution. Do you eyeball it to see that the light is flashing when the mark on the pulley passes the crack in the case? How are you supposed to see that when the pulley is spinning at 3000+ RPM? I don't get it.

Old regulars' advice needed here! Thanks

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Your timing is set improperly. Set timing to 32 total advance hose disconnected.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

But I think it may be my

Buy or borrow a timing light and hook it up. All will become clear. H

Reply to
Hairy

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:35:42 -0600, "John Connolly" scribbled this interesting note:

And in case this isn't clear, there are tons of answers to your question in the ramva archives.

John Willis

The light will only flash when #1 fires and you can clearly see the line or the numbers on a pulley. It is kind of like a freeze frame. David

Reply to
David

Static timing is useful for getting the engine started, but is a starting point only. If you want the engine to run its best, you need to use a timing light and follow the timing information John C sent when you got the SVDA.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Freeze frame, freeze frame Freeze frame, freeze frame Freeze frame, freeze frame Freeze frame, whoo, and I freeze

Yeah!

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Well, I'll get a timing light as soon as I can and check my total advance then. Unfortunately, I leave for a vacation away from my car for ten days tomorrow, so I won't be able to check it for a while. Thanks for the help.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

On that note...what timing light should I buy? I don't want to spend too much money on a timing light, but I don't want a piece of junk either. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks again

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

When I was shopping for a timing light, I almost got a Snap-on cast light with advance, but If you look carefuly, you'll find many cheaper brands that offer the same features in a almost identical casing. Mine (US$70) has been working perfectly, and just the first day we used it on 5 bugs.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Craftsman/Sears. They have 2 or 3 models. I don't like the advance one, too complex for not much benefit. The other 2 are either a plastic or cast housing. The cast one is about $40, I think.

/me likes craftsman tools

Reply to
David Gravereaux

My kids got me a Sears w/ advance for Christmas last year. Not expensive, rugged enough for my infrequent needs, and I /like/ being able to set the advance knob to the desired amount of advance then simply twist the dizzie so the mark lines up.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I have a Craftsman light I let you have for 15 plus shipping, it does not have the advance its just a strait timing light. I bought one that has a tach & advance all digital so I don't use it any more. Let me know.

Jim samb>On that note...what timing light should I buy? I don't want to spend

Reply to
_nospam