Engine Idle Repair Help Needed

I have a 1971 Super Beetle Autostick. I can't get it to idle right. Today I messed with the carb, and it is running the best it ever has. I had it up to 40mph and it felt like it was running strong. It wont neccessarilly stay in idle unless you tap the gas often, or it will stop. Here is a new finding though. I can start it, it will run. If I don't tap the gas it will stall. If I tap the gas it will run. Sometimes when it runs for excess of 20 seconds without stalling it will increase in RPM's. Run real smooth, then drop back down and bounce side to side. It's just like tapping the gas, but I don't tap it. What can cause this??

Do valves get set at .006 in, or .006 mm?

Here is a list of all the things I have allready tried.. A mexican bocar carb. A german Bocar carb. I've tried loosening the BB thing screw on the carb. I've tried the air fuel mixture all different ways. I did the valves at .006, and also .008. I've blocked the servo tube to make sure no leaks. I've sprayed starter spray to check for vacuum leaks.

This is a stock 1600 DP, but has an 009 dist. I also have a chrome air cleaner. Can any of this affect the running in idle? It has an original fuel pump. I ran a hose from the oil cap area to the fan shroud outlet.

Reply to
payments338

idle cutoff solenoid has power to it, right?

Reply to
jboothbee

.006 inches. It's in the manual.

.008 is for 72 and later exhaust

Reply to
aiiadict

Yes, sorry also forgot to mention that. I checked the Idle cutoff switch. It has power. I even tried another one.

Reply to
payments338

My guages say

.008 top .203mm.. bottom

is that the problem? or is .008in the same as .203mm? they don't say inches, so I dont know... Thanks

Reply to
payments338

.008 = eight thousandths of an inch .203mm = two hundred three thousandths of a millimeter

thats the way it works on all feeler gauges that I've used.

Reply to
jboothbee

valves have nothing to do with the problem you are having.

either air or fuel. Air is an adjustment on your carb.

fuel: idle cutoff solenoid isn't getting power idle cutoff solenoid is faulty carb isn't adjusted properly for idle

Reply to
jboothbee

.004 is in my manual. .006 is just what Muir said.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I thought 004 was old school before VW decided to go 006 on everything - inc old motors.

???

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Reply to
fullopiss

I had something similar once. Turns out the intake header boots were cracked and leaking air in.

Inspect yours carefully and make sure they are not cracked.

Reply to
Funkie

Muir says .006 in his book, because VW mechanics figured out that .006 instead of .004 = slightly less power, but longer life out of your engine (less likely to burn up your valves)

at .004 your valves open earlier than .006. This means 1)more air/gas mixture gets into cylinder (creating more heat, bigger explosion) 2)exhaust exits cylinder earlier, not harnessing all of the power developed by increased air/gas being burned. AKA hot flames shooting through exhaust. You get more power, but everything runs hotter with .004

Reply to
aiiadict

You might check to make sure that it is not too rich at idle as well. Once you open the throttle it would let more air in and off set the rich low end. You could also have a float valve leaking and that would let the carb over flow. When running at higher speeds you would not feel this as it would be taking in a better fuel air mix. Just another idea that I did not see anyone else posting.

Reply to
Packrat46