I got a leak!!!

Help!!! Today I parked the SB outside and when I came back to him after 3 hours of heavy rain, I found the entire carpet soaking wet!!! I found water leaking through the front and one of the side window's rubber. Maybe the rubber is as old as the car.

Can you point me to a website, or tell me step by step the right procedures for removing the glass, replacing the rubber and reattaching the glass back? my VW service manual and Muir book are on the way. and I NEED to stop this from happening again.

Thanks in avance.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

...............There's a good section on windshield seal installation in the '57 resto part of this site:

Tim Rogers

a plastic what? over what? my front window?

probably it won't stay like that for 48 more hours...but any advice will be really apreciated.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

..........BTW.........Throw a plastic tarpaulin over it until you get it fixed.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Thanks again tim. now I understand. The car is now inside, so the tarpaulin won't be necesary. And yes, the correct spanish equivalent is "Lona". Tomorow i'll go get the rubber and replace it right away. It seems like the body off restoration will be sooner than I imagined.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

..........From 'The Oxford Dictionary of Current English' :

tarpaulin - noun - 1. heavy-duty cloth waterproofed 2. sheet or covering of this

........Spanish equivalent: lona (?)

.....................Get a cheap one at a hardware store or something that's big enough to drape from bumper to bumper. A couple of worn out tires, one on the front deck lid and the other on the roof will keep it in place. I've seen magnets used to keep them from blowing out of place in the wind.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I've got a 78 Bus and have some window leaks. I just went to a glass shop and they charged me $40 (Canadian funds - probably $30 in the U.S.) to pop them it out, reseal it and pop it back in. They also took a wire wheel to some of the rusty spots and primered them up and touched them up with some paint I left them. The front windshield was a different story. It has a chip in it and they say that they can't guarantee they won't break the windshield when they take it out because even the smallest chip can cause the whole windshield to bust because of the high amount of force needed to remove the window. I'm just gonna get a new windshield through insurance. I know this isn't much help if you wanna do it yourself but you might want to try a shop and see what they charge.

Reply to
BeerBoy

Thanks guys, I already ordered new window rubber (it was all cracked) and while I wait, I found a great temporary solution. I just put some black silicon (hi temp type)all around and beneath the window rubber, basically in all places water could leak in. 2 hours ago it was raining cats and dogs and not a drop went in!

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Silicone contains citrus acid, and should not be used anywhere near metal body parts......

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Thanks for the advice Berg. This silicone will only be there for abour 5 or

6 days. Then, I'll take out the windows ands slash the interior and paint

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Its hell to piany over too. Buy a tube of Urethane sealer like panel shops use.

Allan :-)

Reply to
Allan Williams

Ok, Urethane sealer. The silicon is already in. But next time I'll use that.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña