Engine wont turn over!

Finally got around to putting in my new 1776, everything hooked up, but when i go to fire it all i get is a single heavy *click* from the starter, ive double checked all connections, rapped on the dolenoid with a hammer, oh, i should probably add this, from what i can see underneath, the PO of my 72 beetle has removed the original solenoid and in stalled in its place, a Ford solenoid.....ive fingered this as the main problem, just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on this.

Reply to
Exille

Can you turn the crank manually? Anywho, you can start it directly, bypassing the solenoid. Need directions?

Reply to
jjs

Yea, its a brand spankin new engine, i can turn the crank, direct me :)

Reply to
Exille