European Golf help needed (jan?)

Right up til you said you've had the problem for two years, I figured I might be able to help! I'm sure that in that time period you have disconnected the battery totally for a long enough duration that the ECU would reset. I have heard from a reputable source that some take as much as overnight (or several hours) to reset. I would think that a few minutes would do the trick, but apparently not always. You have no oxygen sensor? Low rpm problems as you describe are also typical of bad oxy sensor.

and the

a timing

reduces power

it changes

sounds like only a

check ECU error

knock sensor, TPS

reading the

duplicating this ECU.

a VAG1551

says timing is dead

Disconecting

it goes

at all)

Reply to
Busahaulic

mmm. oxy sensor might be... I have not changed it ever...

I will disconnect the battery overnight to try and reset the ECU. Ive never had the battery disconected...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

On my Roo, it had 140,000 miles on it at the time of the wreck - then I bought it - they gave me a "clean" oxy sensor, but nobody has any way of knowing (at the wrecking yard) how many miles of service the oxy sensor has on it. I had some low rpm-to-midrange transition problems and decided that it acted rich. I bought a new oxy sensor (pricey little critters!) and there was no difference. I was disappointed until I remembered that the ECU had been running in a default mode, so I disconnected the battery for a couple hours and after the oil change and such, I hooked it back up and the oxy sensor was now being accessed and it ran a lot better. It had some stumbling problems and I picked up another used TPS and stuck on there and was able to adjust most of the stumble out just by playing with it. The ECU sometimes gets bored with my slow progress and goes into default so I have to reset it. I took a long trip and was not fully satisfied (am I ever?) so when I got back I discussed it with the wreckers and they told me they sell a lot of TPS's - so they pulled out 4 of them and handed me, plus a shop manual that had the test / adjustment levels listed. Now that I had six of the suckers, I was able to test and compare and figure out where I wanted what level of adjustment for my engine. It was complicated somewhat by the no-resistance intake tract and aircleaner, so I had to set it, try it, reset it, reset the ECU... And now, six months later, it's grumbling at me over something - like a little kid with a tummy ache! Usually it all gets better after a run up to 6,000 rpm for awhile, so I may be getting some "worn engine syndrome" starting in there!

Heck, if you've never disconnected the battery, you may have actually fixed the thing months ago and it doesn't realize it yet! I hope that's the case for you - I have actually heard of this type of thing a lot!

- Dave

Eduardo Kaftanski wrote in message news:bvtgfq$qgh$ snipped-for-privacy@enriqueto.nn.cl...

,

years,