Fastback fuel injectors, cleaning, rebuilding?

Hi Folks,

Is it possible to rebuild fuel injectors at home? More specifically, can I cut the ferrule holding the fuel hose and replace it with new hose or AN fittings and stainless braided hose?

How about cleaning them? Hook them up to an extra fuel pump and push solvent through them? How much voltage fires the injector?

Any links, tips or suggestion?

Thanks!

CROQ

Yes you can replace that hose. I just use the good german braided FI hose. You might want to buy enough hose to do the entire FI system. Much cheaper to purchase that hose then repair fire damage. 8^o

Not sure about the voltage requirements on the injectors, but I know it should not be over 12 volts. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yes, you can cut off the factory crimp ferrule and remove the old hose. Do this VERY carefully, especially the first time, so you don't cut too deep and damage the hose barb underneath. Replace it with normal 5/16" fuel hose and use any good hose clamp. I do these on a regular basis, since this is the main thing that goes wrong with the injectors.

I'm not sure there's much you can do with them. There's a brass screen filter in the rear that can get clogged. I believe that automotive machine shops often can replace those filters.

If you have injectors that are getting "clogged" it is likely that the "overflow" hose at your fuel filler is cracked. This is letting dirt and water into your gas tank, which leads to these problems, which are more likely to be rust related than dirt related. There's a good filter in the fuel line which will stop the dirt, but it won't stop the water.

No amount of work on the injectors will have any lasting effect until you fix the overflow hose and clean out the gas tank.

-

Jim Adney

[...]

The injectors normally get close to 12 V, but they never get it full time. If you just applied 12VDC to one it would probably overheat rather quickly. If you do this, just use the min voltage that will open them.

-

Jim Adney

Thanks Dave, Cutoff disk worked like a charm.

CROQ

Jim, thanks for the additional information. I'll check the filter screens and other hoses.

CROQ