found one problem, up to the next

Hi all,

some of you might remember me having a gas smel in the engine oil, I've replaced the oil, but after maybe 100/150km the smel was back. Also, when i started the bug it fired up and died immediately, after the second start she fired right up and kept running... this happened all the time after a cold start, so my idea was; the fuelsmel was related to the bad start problem.

Had a fuelpump changed once for a crappy Brazilian so this must be the culprit. Overhauled the original one and putted it back on in. Changed the oil again and behold.... no fuelsmel anymore but still hard to start.

After washing the bug i checked the enginebay and saw the carb (30pict1)dripping from what i believe the idlejet (big brass bold on bottom of bowl) on the manifold. Hmmm, water? No way! The carb was leaking and thus at a cold start empty. All the new gaskets i have for that jet were too big so i refitted it with the old one tightening it real good. Now i have a fuelfree (on the outside) carb and fuelpump. However i do find oil on top of the fuelpump ánd at the bottom of the carb (the place bolted to the manifold).

How is that possible?? Is it oil from the air-cleaner oilbath? imho that is not possible, is it??

Any insight are greatly appreciated Roger

Reply to
bug '59

You're sure it's not coming from the generator stand or out of the fan housing somehow? Maybe warm it up, clean it off and run it for a while in the driveway to see where the oil is coming from?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Could it be that the fuel pump is leaking such that it come in through that push rod going into the engine?

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Btw, with "pushrod" I mean that thing that actuates the pump - forgot what that thing is called.

Reply to
Remco

Oops -- just noticed that I misread your message.

Sorry. Ignore my other messages, if you hadn't already :)

bug '59 wrote:

Reply to
Remco

Oops -- just noticed that I misread your message.

Sorry. Ignore my other messages, if you hadn't already :)

bug '59 wrote:

Reply to
Remco

"Michael Cecil" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

that is indeed a very good possibility. I will look in to it later this week when i will drive it again.. thank you! Roger

Reply to
bug '59

"Remco" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

Well to be honnest, not such a bad thought... however (you read it already) It is on top of the fuelpump and on the bottom of the carb. I will check it anyway, just to be sure. :) Thanks, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

"Michael Cecil" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Looked at the engine this weekend, and found out that there was only a small amount of oil on the fuelpump lit, mostly dried in/up. Cleaned all up anyway and i didn't find any oil leaking while engine was running. Maybe it only happens when driving but i have a feeling it is pretty much gone now.. Let's hope i spilled some when changing the oil and that got splashed around :)

Thanks for your help Roger

Reply to
bug '59