Front Axle beam replace or rebuild?

My local VW shoppe would be happy to rebuild the front suspension of my '62 bug convert for about $550 (not rusty, but loosey). I know they would do a good job but wondered if it might be cheaper and better for me to simply replace the entire front axle beam. They seem to be priced at about $300 (a little less with specials). Any advice? Is replacing this thing a really big job? Hve done lots of jobs with bugs but not this one. Thanks, Pete

Reply to
pbeyer

Are you sure you're comparing apples to apples? Your '62 has a link pin front beam; the specials I usually see are for bare ball joint beams (no drums).

If he is going to re-bush the king and links, ream to exact size, go over tie rod ends and wheel bearings and then align the front end, I'd say that's a good price.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks, again for your insight, Speedy. You know, I hadn't really paid much attention to which type of suspension was offered for that price and had only heard of folks replacing the entire front beam without regard to which type. What was offered from my Volkswerks shop was the complete job as you described. Pete

Reply to
pbeyer

Blimey you lot must be hungry,. Always comparing apples & oranges. Just eat them. That article about the last beetle was mentioning can openers, the another cleaned up with likening the engine to a dishwasher.

food food food...

Reply to
Juper Wort