front end question

I am rebuilding the front end... I have a complete 1960 front end from a donor car and I am replacing and cleaning parts to my 1961.

I tried today the procedure to adjust the link pins from the Muir. I have no Bentley or Haines. I realized I was reaching the end of the groove travel and still not getting a play free adjust. After realizing the other beam was almost identical, but had more and thicker shims installed, I added 2 shims to each pin and could adjust it just fine...

Did I do something wrong? Is it okay to add shims to get a correct adjustment? My front end was very dry and the shims were very thin and scored... the ones I put in there were much better...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

There are TWO different shim stacks for the link pin front end. The earlier versions, had TEN shims altogether, the later front ends, had EIGHT, total. You can usually identify which front end you have by either counting the total shims, both in front of, and behind, the king pin carrier, or you can look at the end of the trailing arms, where the king pin carrier rides. If you have a straight surface around the hole the link pins go into, you have an early front end. If, however, the area around those holes is beveled, then you have the

8-shim, later, front end, that uses a dust cover, or seal. Set the shims up accordingly, but make sure you use all of them. Let's say you have the early, 10-shim front end (and I believe 1960 and 1961 does). You will need to use all 10 shims, top and bottom, to get the required camber. You have have 9 inside and 1 outside, 5 and 5, 8 and 2, whatever, just use them all. I see that you are outside the US, I know that Hot VWs Magazine did a story, including the diagram and shim placements, last year, so I guess that won't help you, unless someone can scan the article, and send it via e-mail to you. Of course, I am not advocating that someone "rip" Hot VWs Magazine, but just in case some other person feels like doing that... Many shop manuals have the same diagram and shim placement tables in them, as well. Hope this helps.
Reply to
Kaferdave

If anyone has the September, 2003 issue, I will NOT suggest that they scan it and send it to Eduardo.. ;-)

Reply to
Kaferdave

I have 2 front ends, one 60 and one 61. The look exatly the same, so I am using parts from both to build one good one...

I tried to get the shims out, but only got 4 out of one and 6 out the other.

And the shims are completly wasted... the are scored, thin and deformed... I will assemble this one to get through safety inspection, and then orden a front end kit from aircooled.net to rebuild it properly....

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski