Front wheel inner grease seal--- what does it ride on?

I was replacing the driver's front wheel cylinder and noticed a bit of grease on the inside of the drum. I also noticed that the bottom brake shoe is not worn at all... but the top one is. I then noticed that the fairly new rubber grease seal that goes on the inside of the drum (inner bearing seal) had little bits of shreadded rubber around it (like you get from a pencil eraser) and the metal band was showing... I believe that whatever it is supposed to seal up against might have a scratch or a nick in it... but I am not totally certain what it is supposed to ride against.

It is a '65 link pin front end. Of course... one of the two sides' king-pin component's are also bent slightly and I have it shimmed WAY out, but that shouldn't cause this problem.

Reply to
KWW

there is a shoulder or "journal" at the inboard side of the spindle...usually a bit smaller in diameter than the inner wheel bearing...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

If it is that thing that is about 1/4" larger in radius than the spindle, sticks out oh, maybe 3/4" and, right up against the back plate, flares out at a 45 degree angle, then I have another question. There is a groove going around this that is rounded and indents less than 1 mm into the thing. Is that groove what the grease seal rides in? Reason being, I have a dent in the edge of where the groove meets the regular diameter of that "thing"/"shoulder"/etc. I think I might have caused it at one time or another. Thanks for your reply thus far. KWW

spindle...usually a

Reply to
KWW

Picture Kirk........show us a picture of the area.................... Then go buy A new Spindle.

from the description it is likely you have damaged it in the wrong place. However if your picture show different, then I'll back off the suggestion of a new spindle.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

The seal rides on the large inner hub of the stub axle. If there is rust there it can eat thru the seal quickly, so I try to polish those down before I put things back together. Any roughness at all will destroy the seal quickly.

If the seal has worn to the point where you can see the garter spring, you are WAY past needing a new seal. It's possible that the spring has worn a groove in the stub axle that will be hard on the new seal.

The 2 brake shoes never wear at the same rate. One is a "leading" shoe, meaning that the rotation of the wheel tends to make it brake harder, while the other is a "trailing" shoe for which the rotation tends to release it. The leading shoe always works harder than the trailing shoe. This is normal.

-

Jim Adney