Axel grease seal

Quick Q...

Does the axel grease seal also stop diff oil from leaking to the brake disk? I have a small oil leak (I had thought was brake fluid) that gets onto the inside surface of the front right brake disk. The grease seal is the only axel seal I know of.

Thanks

Guy 300tdi defender

Reply to
Guy Lux

In message , Guy Lux writes

No if you mean the big swivel seal.

Hub oil seal needs changing ... in the hub between the swivel and the brake disk ...

Reply to
AndyG

And check the stub axle while you've got in there! If it's grooved the chances are that a new seal wont help. Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

I didn't mean the swivel seal, sorry I had forgotten that one :)

OK, Ive taken the rear axel apart, but thought the front may be more complicated "oil-seal-wise" as it moves.

I will, cheers

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

I know it may sound stupid but for the "veering-to-the-left-when-braking" problem may I also suggest you check the rear axle's brake proportioning valve and the rear brake pads for wear?

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos