fuel in the engine oil & NYC repair places

Hey guys and dolls. I was wondering if anyone had any insight in to my problem. For some reason my engine is dumping fuel in to the oil. I can't seem to find out why. This has been going on since last July-ish. I brought it in to my repair place and they replaced the fuel pump because the said the fuel pump leaking fuel in to the engine. Fine. Didn't fix the problem. Then I brought it in again, and they said I needed adjustments to my duel carbs. Fine. Still didn't fix the problem. Then they said they said I needed to replace the old dual carbs because they might have gone bad and they charged me for replacing it with a rebuilt single carb and manifold they had laying around. I pick up the car and the fuse is blown to my radio for some reason and it looks like someone took the radio out of the car. They fixed that no charge. Now it's doing the same problem again...dumping fuel in to my engine. During this whole time I kept saying if the engine is screwed I want to either rebuild the engine, or better yet just get a turn-key engine and replace the whole thing. They kept telling me it was this or that. So, I was wondering if anyone would know why I'm dumping fuel in to my engine?? Compression seems fine, though sometimes she's hard to get started even after replacing it with a stock carb. Also, was wondering if anyone knew of a good VW repair place in the NYC Metro area. I'm starting to lose my confidence in the place I've been taking it to. Thanks a lot for any information you can give me.

Mike

Reply to
cj

My guess is that the float valve in the carburetor has started to back itself out and is letting gas seep past, down the intake manifold into the cylinders and eventually into the crankcase. This will be aggravated if you park on an incline with the gas tank higher than the motor. Take the carburetor apart and check the float valve.

Reply to
Leopold Stotch

It kinda helps when you tell us which VW you are talking about. ;-) Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 Type 4 or ???

All might have different components that might affect/cause your problem.

Usually a problem like yours comes from the fuel pump leaking into the engine case. Sometimes it comes from an overly rich mixture or a bad inlet valve or float. You have had all things changed. So maybe that NEW fuel pump is defective???? Oh I think if the engine or the carbs get hot the fuel could bubble out of the carb bowl and enter the throat of the carb and go to the cylinders.

I guess in the meanwhile you could install a fuel line lock and shut off the fuel going to the engine. :-) Find someone with a VW like you have and ask them where they take theirs for service.

good luck!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yeah. Guess it would help. It's a 1974 VW Superbeetle.

Reply to
cj

Then I vote that the new fuel pump is also bad. Esp. since you have a different intake system now. Is it a Bosal fuel pump? AFAIK there are basically two fuel pumps that can fit on your vehicle, they both look similar but one that is for the alternator-equipped engine and the other for the generator. The pushrods can be different lengths and the gen pushrod is too long for the alt fuel pump and possibly could cause damage. Since your engine had the dual carb setup then it might have had the fuel pump for the generator-equipped engine.

Pull it off and smell the bottom of it. Also did this place pack the bottom on the pump with grease?

Sometimes it is better if YOU do the work yourself! ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Could be the fuel pump. Could also be the float valve in the carburetor. Sometimes the needle valve sticks open, sometimes the float valve starts backing itself out because it wasn't put in tight enough. In either case the result is the same. Gas gets past the float valve, runs down the intake manifold and into the cylinders. Eventually it seeps past the rings and into the crank case. First symptom is that suddenly your car turns over but won't crank (because the air/fuel mixture is so rich it will not ignite). You pop the engine lid and start poking around. Eventually you pull the dipstick and are surprised to see you've got more oil in the crankcase than you put in. This is very weird, you've used to seeing the oil level go down but you've never seen it go up. You rub a bit of the oil between your fingers and find that it is very thin and smells of gas.

If this is your problem, it will be exacerbated by park> Then I vote that the new fuel pump is also bad. Esp. since you have a

Reply to
Leopold Stotch

This isn't metro NYC, but about 50 miles NE of NYC in Bridgeport CT there's a place called Alpha Motors on Huntington Rd/River st. He used to specialize in acvws in the day.

Reply to
Remco