fuel pump flange in pieces

Hello all;

I'm installing a fuel pump in a 68 beetle that hasn't run in 10 years. When I attempted to remove the backelite flange it was like it was superglued in there. Anyway in my attempts to removee it it fell apart and now I have pieces of it that dropped in there and I'm not sure how to get them out. I'm not familiar with that part of the engine ... will it hurt if they are floating arond in there? I really don't want to have to crack the case just to get those out ... any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
Josh Charlet

It's probably the news you don't want to hear, but it looks like you are going to have to crack open the case to get at it. I figure you are going to have to crack open the case now to get at those pieces or later after those pieces have trashed a few parts.

I had a little setscrew fall off my solid rocker shaft. It was sucked into the oil pump and caused the gears to bind. Ended up having to open the engine to replace a trashed camshaft and oil pump.

That engine sounds like a good candidate for a rebuild anyways...but MAYBE you can just do an engine pull, remove the oil pump only, and fish out the pieces of broken bakelite out through the hole. Use a proper pump puller though!

Geoffe Elias '74 Super Beetle

Reply to
geoffers

Reply to
ilambert

Thanks for the help. The engine is the original 1500 with 89K on it, so I had planned to rebuild it sometime (when I get the workspace) ... but I was hoping to get at least a few miles out if it beforehand.

I'll try to get what I can with the shopvac and hope for the best. BTW, are

1500 cc rebuild kits available anywhere? Aircooled.net seemed to think not, but I didn't think these engines were too rare. Any favorites (I've dealt with Wolfsburg West and some local guys, that's about it ...)?

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
Josh Charlet