fuel pump swap woes--advice needed

I needed to replace the fuel pump on my 1971 Karmann Ghia. The local foreign parts store sold me one that looked a little different, but the coupling fit together as expected. I attempted to start the engine, but it still wasn't pumping gas. My neighbor (a mechanic) came over and confirmed that the pump was not working. I took back the fuel pump to the parts store and learned the fuel pump they gave me was for a 1973, not a 1971. The invoice showed a part number for a 1971 fuel pump, but the clerk gave me the wrong one. They swapped it out right away, but here's where the problem begins. While fitting the new (correct) pump, I discovered the metal shaft that pushes the pump mechanism was bent by the first incorrect pump.

I obviously need to replace the shaft with a new one, which the local foreign parts store will be responsible for paying. My concern is that the internal rotating mechanism that pushes the rod is somehow damaged. If this is true the parts store could be liable to repair any damage.

However maybe the rod took all the bent on the first crank and there's nothing to worry about. Maybe the proceeding 3 or 4 more cranks didn't do anything because the rod was already bent out of the way. Does this make sense?

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Any comments, suggestions and/or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Reply to
Xenophobe

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 05:06:23 GMT, "Xenophobe" wrote: ...the fuel pump rod is actuated by riding on a eliptical surface mchined onto the distrubuter drive. The distributor drive is in turn driven by a brass gear piece on the crancshaft. If an internal damage were to occore this would be where it would have occured as the dizzy srive is quite robust...but the brass gear...beiung brass is soft. I would likely check for proper function of bot the fuel pump pushroda and the dizzy, and might consider draining the oil into a clean container and checking it for brass. BTW make sure you get the proper lengt6h pushrod to match your pump. =-)

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

The fuel pump pushrod is specific to the type of pump your car calls for. The later-style pump for cars equipped with an alternator calls for a different length pushrod than the generator type fuel pump. The pushrod itself rides on the distributor drive shaft, which is probably not damaged. However, I would suspect that your fuel pump mounting block is broken and will need to be replaced at the same time you replace the pushrod. I would remove the mounting block from the case and see if it is intact, there is a snout that goes down into the case to keep the pushrod in line. If the 'snout' portion were to break off the pushrod could bend quite easily since it would be supported only at the top.

When you install the new pump you'll want to use a coating of RTV on both gaskets and fill the lower cavity of the fuel pump with wheel bearing grease prior to installation. Don't overtighten the pump bolts or you may break the new mounting block.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, I got the whole thing sorted out today. The parts store replaced the mounting block and gave me the money to purchase another push rod from a local repair shop that specializes in VWs. The mechanic there (with 30 years of experience) told me not to worry about the pieces of the mounting block that broke off. The plastic is soft and got grinded by the gears and dropped to the bottom. A simple oil change and cleaning the filter screen should restore everything to pre-fiasco condition.

Regarding the brass gear, the mechanic guaranteed me that it wasn't damaged and is certain the push rod and mounting block were the only things damaged.

Phew!

Reply to
Xenophobe