Fuel smell

Hi,

I've got a 1641cc engine - pretty fast Beetle - but lately its starting to smell of petrol esp. after I reved it hard.

I undid the fuel lines and screwed the clampers on again - and that seemed to help.

But can I replace them with something better than the original rubber hose and clippers.?

Reply to
YMC

You,d think you would be able to see any leaks big enough to cause a smell. No leaks from the carbie anywhere? Or the fuel pump?. There is some cheap and nasty hose clips around that dont have a ( I cant think of a better word) tongue that extends across under the screw of the hose clip so that the entire circumference of the hose is compressed. If it doesnt have that, as you tighten the screw the hose bunches up under the screw and forms a little tunnel for fuel to leak. In some ways those horrible little clips you put on with pliers are better, they suuround the entire hose. The original cloth covered hose has done me well for the last 40 years so its up to the task. Also used hose form auto suppliers with no problem as well. Cheers John

Reply to
John

I get my smell from the front of the car. I know what hose it is, I just haven't found a suitable replacement cause it is so curvy. It's a breather hose from the top passenger side of the tank to the filler. When I take a tight left turn the smell is potent.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

David Try sending your replies as plain text so more can view them. ;-)

In Outlook Express Tools>>>Options>>>Send>>>and select Plain Text for the News Sending Format.

Someone told me that I needed to do that to my replies recently. ;-)

and BTW you could try to see if they have a hose/tubing that size at your local hardware/auto parts store that can handle the fuel vapors.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Is the gasket ok in the fuel filler cap?. One of many Daves is right you, should be able to pick up a hose from an auto parts mob. Doesnt matter if there is a little kink, its only to stop blow back when you are filling the tank. What I have done in my Type 3 is to use a 1/2 copper right angle joint ( the type that is preloaded with solder) from a plumbers supply and connect hoses either end of that.. I,ve consoled myself with it not looking genuine with the thought that the lead in the solder is leaching out and giving me leaded petrol aagain. ( Just joking!) Cheers John

Reply to
John

Or you could try a newsreader that understands "MIME-Encryp" or send a feature request to snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com. FYI, RFC-1847 *is* listed in STD1. BTW, if you open this post in raw view, this MIME section is set to text/plain for its Content-Type. So don't complain to me about your dumb newsreader.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Yes, it's good and was replaced. I had that issue in my other bug, where if I turned left, gas would spill out the filler and coat the fender.

I tried that, but I need a pre-bent one. I guess I could use some longer hose so the turn isn't so tight..

Haha.. I might want to do it in PVC now with that great smelling green glue ;)

Reply to
David Gravereaux

LOL...maybe your vw should find an owner that understands how to maintain and repair it properly, instead of the "dumb" one it has now...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Brought to you by an M$ koolaid junkie.. Destroying USENET, one group at a time with broken equipment. So how do like Vista? Ain't it the fastest, most compatible OS M$ has ever made? They shot it out of the ballpark with that one.

Reply to
davygrvy

couldn't tell ya there gravyboy, i don't run vista...apparently you do or have... quite the hypocrite....and FTR, talk shit all you want, i don't have a fuel smell anywhere in my vw's except in the tank!!(what is your point anyway i *obviously* can read your message, so i must not have such a dumb newsreader....ouch)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Then why the request to post in text/plain? If you look, I did! Now, don't tell you looked, cause you didn't.

You probably had to open the apparent attachment in notepad and `paste as quote' or something..

begin

davygrvy

Hey Joey,

You realize that M$ hasn't updated OE since Aug. 2004? IMO, that's some bad code rot. Here's a description of that Outlook (and Express) bug:

It really is a problem regarding RFC1847 support, not exactly OpenPGP/ MIME specific, if, by chance, you happen to do the research..

Reply to
davygrvy

Oh god, OE makes me top post.. The shame..

Just for the fun of it, I paid the $59 for M$ email support. Let's see what those twits have to say about it not respecting rfc1847. I do this just for fun, as they usually refund me and admit to it being broke ;)

Reply to
David Gravereaux

oddly enough, OE has never made me do anything...guess i don't let a little box on a screen push me around.. you sure you are okay, Dave? need a beer?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I have Vista Ultimate installed on my other (more expensive) machine - the stupid thing can't go to sleep properly. If it does, the screen won't turn back on. The only way is for a reboot. I did it the other day and the system crashed - requiring a repair. Bloody Asus was too cheap skate to provide an installation disk but instead provided a rescue disk- which would have wiped out all the data on C drive.

Unfortunately, MY FOLDER cannot be easily moved from C drive to D drive - try it. In XP, its really simple. In Vista its practically impossible to move the whole dir over in one complete piece.

In short I hate MS.

Reply to
YMC

Thanks David, OK tell me what was happening for future reference? Evidently you were not using OE so maybe you were using some other News group reader. I can see clearly now.......I guess being lazy about 2 extra steps to read posts is a handicap! lol I definitely prefer a top post to a "blank" post or a bottom post anyday! ;-) BTW I never did open up your signature file. Did I miss something there too? 8^o

At least I appreciate you making it easier to read your posts!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

You have the product key, right? So install Bittorrent (I prefer Azureus) and download a Vista disc.

That's supposed to be a better way. Operations are either successful or not, and if not they are entirely rolled back.

Reply to
Michael Cecil
Reply to
David Gravereaux

I do to, but I'm talking about the granularity of transactional NTFS file operations, not partitioning schemes.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I borrowed one of my friend who bought a DELL machine. Dell provides the installation disk to all their customers. It worked.

Well, call me old fashion but I prefer my data in a seperate partition from the Windows directory.

:)

Reply to
YMC