110 fuel lines

Okay, so a jet wash of the underside may not have been such a good idea!

The first thing to become a problem is the fuel lines just inside the rear wheel arch which have now cracked in (at least) two places and I want to replace the whole length including clips where necessary just to make sure there's no problem in the future.

It would appear they have corroded through and the rubber sections also now look suspect. It must have been the dirt and grime holding the fuel in the pipe.

Is it an easy job to do? can I renew in plastic/rubber pipe (of a suitable grade of course) or is there an MOT requirement for metallic pipes where ever possible??

Richard (Beamends), can you give me a price for the pipes & clips? I might as well fit a new filter while I'm at it too.

tia Peter snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (please change fiftyfour to the numeric value) vehicle details included for clarity: Landrover 110 Defender County 1988 (E)

3.5l petrol V8
Reply to
wireless

NTC2225 Fuel Pipe - Joint to Filter - Internal Pump - £22.69 inc VAT Petrol 110/130 to WA159806

NTC2072 Fuel Pipe - Tank to Joint By Filter - 4-Cylinder Petrol 110/130 & V8 Internal Pump 110/130 to WA159806 £19.97 inc VAT NTC2876 Fuel Pipe Connector - Rubber - Defender Petrol to WA159806 £4.35 inc VAT CN100168L Jubilee Clips for above £0.45 inc VAT

JS660L Fuel Filter Element Stage 1/2.6/2.5 P/V8 £1.59 inc VAT

Reply to
beamendsltd

Any chance I could replace the whole lot with reinforced rubber pipes rather than have all the conncetions?

Reply to
wireless

You don't want rubber, either nylon or neoprene, preferably nylon. Press the fittings on, don't warm the pipe.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

sorry, I still think of them as rubber.

is this okay though? from an MOT perspective?

Peter

Reply to
wireless

I can't see a problem replacing steel pipes with nylon or neoprene (not in the UK anyway), it would fail with a fuel leak though. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Hi,

The fuel lines on my '86 110 V8 (which corroded in exactly the same place), have been replaced by 8mm copper (central heating microbore flexible tube). This was done before I owned it, but it has passed several MOT's since without any comment.

The copper is joined to the old fittings / pipes with short lengths of the flexible rubber / whatever fabric covered pipe.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

On or around 20 Sep 2006 04:13:44 -0700, "Andrew T." enlightened us thusly:

only objection to copper is that it work-hardens when subjected to vibration, so you need to make sure it's well-secured to the chassis, and there are no long runs without clips, and flexible bits between chassis pipes and engine, but you tend to have those anyway.

copper microbore is a good choice as it's easy to fit and bend to shape, it also comes in a variety of sizes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin, its a very valid point about copper becoming brittle (that I hadn't thought about), I will take a look at how they're fitted, I know they are not fixed down particularly well as I had to put some padding between them and the body where it was rubbing on the copper. Another job to do when I take the body off later this year.

Cheers,

Andrew

Aust> On or around 20 Sep 2006 04:13:44 -0700, "Andrew T."

Reply to
Andrew T.

In article , Andrew T. writes

When I replaced the tank on Marge, I found that 8mm compression joints (elbows and straight couplers) fit very well to the existing pipes, allowing me to replace about 3ft back to the tank from one of the chassis ladders. IIRC I used 8mm microbore, but can't honestly remember.

It's never leaked.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Having walked into the spares shop and confidently asked for Nylon fuel hose I was told it wasn't legal anymore and that they could only supply rubber hose for fuel as it was the only thing that was stamped with a BS number (British Standard not Bu11S**t)

After a short discussion about the pro's and con's of plastic/rubber/nylon materials I now have 12 feet of reinforced rubber hose and 6 jubilee clips - hope to have it all fitted tomorrow and the 110 will be back on the road at the weekend. No doubt it'll rain tomorrow but at least it'll be dry under there.

I've bought some brush on underseal to replace what was jet-washed off. Unfortunately having a light tap round the underside this evening with a hammer has revealed even more rust and dust :-(

Looks like a new (or good condition 2nd hand one) rear bumper etc is required. Anyone in the Essex/East London area know of one going begging?

cheers Peter

Reply to
wireless

Andrew

That's a load of BollockS, fuel rots rubber and what are most new cars' fuel pipes made of - Nylon - including most Fords with those Nylon push on connectors. Car accessory shops sell lengths of fuel line, and what does it say on it?, and what is it made of? Not rubber.

Why do you need *six* jubilee clips to make *two* joints, the fuel pipe only has two ends. That's six potential trouble spots in the middle of winter, jubilee clips on fuel pipes don't tighten up evenly, lots of air leaks... nice!

Reply to
Oily

I think it depends on what one calls rubber - the Genuine Parts fuel pipe connetors are what I would describe as "rubber". What they are actually made of I couldn't say, but they certainly aren't nylon. So many things, both synthetic and natural, are described as being rubber that it s perhaps best to take the word as describing the characteristics of the object, rather than the material it is made from.

Just my 2p.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I call rubber 'rubber'

- the Genuine Parts fuel

Certainly not rubber, probably neoprene, but why comment if you 'couldn't say'?

No one said genuine fuel pipe connectors were 'nylon' but the fuel pipes themselves are nylon on Discos, R/Rovers et al which is what I recommended for the OP's fuel line and the spares shop said was illegal. I can't see Landrover using illegal pipe.

I'll go along with that but the OP asked about a specific material, rubber,which someone had sold him and it's not a good idea to use natural rubber for fuel pipes.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Neoprene is a type of rubber so this whole discussion is becoming kind of pointless.

Reply to
EMB

It's not pointless if the OP gets an informed answer to select the right material for the job rather than a confusing ( for him) reply. It is pointless now because he has already purchased his pipe as a direct result of misinformation from the spares shop and unhelpful replies.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:31:45 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

well, we didn't misinform him about the nylon fuel lines... we suggested various options like 8mm microbore copper...

I tend to assume that all apparently-rubber fuel pipe on sale is in fact not actual normal rubber as such, these days. You do still find rubber hoses on very old things, mostly perished and useless. But you can buy black reinforced "rubber" petrol hose in various sizes. I daresay it is neoprene or something, in reality.

I imagine now if you wanted natural rubber hose you'd have a hard time finding it, but the type of hose mentioned above is still sometimes referred to as "rubber".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'll bet any money he hasn't got rubber, only something that looks and feels like what most would describe as rubber. It may well be perfectly adequate for the job.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

As I understand it 'natural' rubber disolves in the presence of oil based product, for example the gromets where the harness enters the chassis of my 109 are little more than thick treacle now, 'synthetic' rubber (with various names) is what's on sale now. That's why you have to make sure all the 'rubber' seals in a brake system are compatible with mineral oil.

But back to the original point, is the hard plastic (probably not nylon as it's too hard) fuel pipe on my 1972 vehicle not legal anymore?, I really find that hard to believe. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Point taken, same as the 'nylon' on all the later Land Rover products, that certainly looks and feels like nylon, someone here may know for sure.

It may well be

It certainly will be if it's BS stamped and sold as such.

Martin

Reply to
Oily