fuse blowing

We will assume that this is a '73 or '74 Standard Beetle. The buzzer on '73 plugs into the fuse block. On '74 it was incorporated into the seat belt interlock relay, which also plugged in.

Fuse blowing when the Hazard switch is operated leads me to suspect the switch itself. They are poorly made and often fall apart.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

So, having for the moment given up on figuring out why my alternator light comes on, since everything seems to be exactly how it should be, I have decided to adress the one other infuriating and maybe related problem.

As some of you know, I rewired my bug, since her wiring was shot to hell from having an unregulated generator put on a car built for an alternator, not my idea, the previous owner was not real good with cars.

Unfortunately the light next to the spedo that says "brake and seatbelt" crubled when we removed it, and a friend of ours who repairs her own aircooleds told us to just ignore it and work around it. right now we also don't have a working dome light since we can't get it to work with the door contact switches which I suspect are worn out. I have never heard the "buzzer" and people have been vauge as to where it is or if it actually exists (on vw mechanic who does aircooleds told me aircooled vws never had any buzzer)

So, right now my big issue is that if I turn on my hazards or sometimes if I turn on my turning signals, fuses 8 and or 12 blows violently. If I turn on my hazards the result is instantanious. The hazard switch is properly grounded and all the wires match the bently diagrams perfectly (exept for the one to that dash light which is not hooked up).

any ideas would be appreciated, I am really loosing my mind with all this electrical crap which is preventing me from being able to drive my car.

-Winter`

Reply to
Winter