Gastank Hose replacement

I have a 1968T1 and some questions about the gas tank filler hose:

Firstly, to those of you who have already replaced it, do you know if the main hose can be bought from Home Depot or a hardware store for a lot less money than a VW parts dealer or is this a VW only sized part? If I can get it from Home Depot (I'm prefering a clear tank hose) what size should I use (mine has a round upper connection to the filler, and a squashed lower connection to the tank).

Second, there is a secondary hose which seems very odd, and that secondary hose has a T connector which is connected to a 6' length of very thin tube. That very thin tube runs from near the filler cap, up under the windshield, across the car, then down into the spare wheel well. What's all this gimmickry for? All those hoses and connections result in a system with a lot of vapors escaping -- can I just chuck this junk or is important?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jerry Cornelius

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 03:36:22 GMT, "Jerry Cornelius" ran around screaming and yelling:

that small diameter "tube" you refer to is your fuel tank vent line...DO NOT do away with this hose...if you do you will suffer from fuel starvation as your tank develops a vaccumm as the fuel pump pulls fuel out......all of the hoses in the bonnet are rated for their respected useage...i doubt buying any hose from home depot is a good idea....remember what is at stake here, your life....the wrong hose could potentially be as bad as NO hoses...... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I had recently problems with gas smell and I fixed it replacing all the hoses, including the small ones, that are very needed by the way. It is not a very expensive thing to do, neither very difficult, but if you use the wrong hose, or place them in the wrong arangement the consecuences could be very bad. It is worth it to do it properly. If you want to save money, save it on fancy cool stuff not in the tank hoses.

Ant

Jerry Cornelius wrote:

Reply to
Ant

I don't think 'clear' hose is for gasoline... There's no problem getting hose from other sources , as long as you make sure it's for gasoline. Also, if VW engineers put it there, it's there for a reason.

-- Mel P.

77 Std FI Bug & 70 Ghia Cabrio. (being assembled)

PARTS FOR SALE:

windshield,

Reply to
Mel P.

We have a guy in our VW club that uses clear hose... works OK... challenge is that plastics are picky with solvents.

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead