gathering the facts

I've tried to list some of the most improtant facts I learned from reading this newsgroup. I've come up with this:

the Ten Commandments:

  1. On cooling: - Keep your cooling flaps + thermostat in there. - Keep the rubber that's in between the engine tin and the body. - Keep all engine tin installed.
  2. Use the SVDA distributor, preferrable with electronic pointless ignition
  3. On Fuel lines: - Check your fuel-lines periodical, replace if looking old or cracked. - Place the fuel filter in the fuel line between tank and tunnel (NOT BETWEEN PUMP & CARB). - Use clamps when attaching fuel-lines. - Replace breather tubes of the fuel tank when noticing fuel fumes in the car, don't plug the hoses.
  4. Keep the stock aircleaner, with all hoses attached & intact
  5. On carburation: - Check if your pre-heater tubes are not clogged - Check if your rubber manifold boots are not leaking - Check if the brass fitting for the fuel line in the carb is not loose!
  6. Don't put something heavy in the boot to improve handling, but find out what's wrong (check your steering damper).
  7. Follow this engine tune-up sequence: Valve lash, points (if present) gap, ignition timing, carburettor
8 Periodically check/adjust these: - Play in the front wheel bearings - Play in the rear brakes (and front if you've got drums there) - V belt tension - Tire preassure (1.3 bar front, 1.9 rear) - Engine oil
  1. When working on the rear wheel brake drums, retighten the rear axle nuts to the appropriate torque afterwards!
  2. Check the ground wires of headlights and taillights, make sure there's a good contact to the car-body.

Any comments? Corrections? Additions?

Greetings, Gerrelt.

Reply to
beetle boy

10 commandments, LOL!

Looks good.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

On 8 Apr 2004 03:50:58 -0700, beetle snipped-for-privacy@mail.com (beetle boy) scribbled this interesting note:

Don't forget to check where the fuel line passes through the engine tin. The problem is the engine tin can cut a hole through the metal line. The vibrations cause the tin to act like a saw and it will cut through the line spraying fuel all over the place and when that happens you better have your marshmallows handy!:~(

A common problem with stock carburetors is the throttle shaft. The bushings become worn over time and cause a vacuum leak. When this happens I recommend having the carburetor professionally rebuilt. A good craftsman will change these out, rebuild the carburetor, and for a little more even re-plate the carburetor linkages so in effect you have a brand new, original carburetor for less than the cost of a brand-new-from-your-FLAPS carburetor.

Don't forget, when changing the engine oil, the oil bath air cleaner needs servicing as well. Why do you think the engine takes 2.6 quarts of oil and the air cleaner takes 0.4 quarts of oil?

Good list. Do a search on Google for the Tulz series by Bob Hoover (aka Veeduber). An excellent series of articles that everyone here ought to review on occasion.

John Willis

So it can also cut through the metal fuel line?? I thought it was only for the rubber ones... And I don't have the rubber grommet that should be there ... I had a piece of old fuel line around the metal line, but the rubber fuelline keeps shifting from it's place... I'll try to attach it better with tie-raps or something, before my beetle turns into a huge camp-fire...

Thanks for the tip, I'll add it to my list.

Oh yeah! I remember reading about the throttle shaft, I'll add this one too.

Yep, I'll add this one too! I've got a paper one myself, but I'm thinking about changing it to the oil bath type. That way I'll never have to buy those paper filters again (and I don't have to worry of it becoming obsolete).

I allready am a dedicated follower of mr. Hoover for a couple of years now. I even saved some of his articles to my PC.

Thank you for your reply, maybe I'll put this list on my site.

Greetings, Gerrelt.

Reply to
Gerrelt

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 21:11:41 +0200, Gerrelt scribbled this interesting note:

Read this:

And here is the Tulz Series:

John Willis

Not to fuel lines, but related:

Have a fire extinguisher in the car.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Yes, One more....do the Bob Hoover fuel line thing. Use the electrical lamp connection between your outer tin...don't use the rubber grommet (original) Use RTV sealant in the channel to hold it secure so it doesn't rub..I just did my new engine today. It will prevent an engine fire too..in addition to placing the filter under the engine compartment and not in it! Eric 68 Bug vert 62 Ghia vert

Reply to
Stutzsr

I did the same last week while the engine was out of the Wonderbus. E-Z as cake, slice of pie. The old setup had a small diameter length of metal tubing rattling around in a hole in the firewall. Not real confidence-inspiring.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot