digital speed

I was just wondering why most cars don't have a digital readout of your
current speed as opposed to the gauge. I think a readout would be
easier for the brain to process, possibly reducing accidents.
On Dec 11, 10:12 pm, snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com wrote:

============== almost EVERY car i work on has a digital readout of actual speed.....
i work on domestics and imports.
~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his shroom juice~ ~:~

The mere presence of digits on a gauge does not mean the instrument is "digital".
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

maybe he owns an 85 Vette and that's the only car he works on. ;)

Or an '84 Dodge Daytona...
Remember those awful blue digital instruments? Tokyo at night, indeed.
--
Tegger

====================== snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com started an intellectual discussion on the dyanmics of the human brains capacity to process data with : . I was just wondering why most cars don't have a digital readout of your current speed as opposed to the gauge. . I think a readout would be easier for the brain to process, possibly reducing accidents. . ======= =======MarshMonster stated with fact : . almost EVERY car i work on has a digital readout of actual speed.....
==============
.

==================Marsh now chunks a wrench across the shop at the new apprentice, and screams : .
WHERE IN THE HELL IN THE OP'S POST DO YOU SEE THE WORDS INSTRUMENT....OR....GAUGE !!! ??? . again......almost ALL....of the vehicles i'm work'n on...... have a digital readout....not my fault....you can't read it!!
:)
i read'm........allduhtime!!
:)
~:~ marsh ~takes a sip of his mushroom tea.....wonders if you wonder if he wonders if you wonder.....how that's possible~ ~:~

Well, he says "digital readout", so I guess I must be going out on a limb when I equate "readout" with "instrument" or "gauge".
Man/machine communication is generally effected using instruments or gauges of some sort as the "readout"...
Have you another definition?
--
Tegger

============== nope......my .............
scanner.........
:)
gives me a readout.
:)
~:~ marsh ~sips his shroom tea.....makes himself giggle~ ~:~

Oh, so the OP is supposed to permanently hook up an OBD-II scanner to his DLC and refer to its "readout" as he drives in order to keep a "digital" eye on his speed?
Or are you making some sort of attempt at being ironically humorous?
--
Tegger

What's with the new X-face? (good one)

I was inspired to make it after recently reading an article on Barry Goldwater, whom I've always liked.
Maybe I'd better change it. The presence of this X-face may risk turning this group into a political garbage dump, like the Toyota one...
--
Tegger

in

====================== Those words NEVER came out of my mouth..... He don't have to hook up nothing he don't want to.
but.....
my original reply to the thread still stands FIRM.....
"almost every car i work on....has a digital readout"
fact, not fiction.
now.......don't go start'n no freek'n pissin matches.... cuz what i writ was rite, whut you red, wuz wrong.
:)
you folks.....NEED to learn to THINK out a problem, in order to THINK ABOUT the problem, in order to KNOW that a statement is wrong, and not THINK you know it's wrong.
:)
why......that's what makes fer GREAT DIAGNOSTICS!!
anything.......else.......is GUESS'N
:)
oh.......and next time.....you'de be better off simply stateing.... "Explain please"
:)
it makes fer a shorter thread. short precise and to the point.
:)
The facts sir, jest the facts.
:)
~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his shroomtea........wonders if anyone has an inquiring mind, or jest a mind for not inquiring~

in
__________________________ Just because something has numbers on it doesn't make it "digital". A speedometer with numbers arranged in an arc with a pointer sweeping by is not a digital, but an ANALOG speedometer. OTOH, a speedometer with one large number on it(65 MPH), or a decimal separating 10ths from whole numbers(65.7 MPH), IS digital.
This, by the way, concerns the REPRESENTATION of speed, not the mechanics or electronics used in determining that speed. A digital device can have an analog READOUT, and vice versa.
<sheesh!>
me out...

in
========================Not sure who you're arguing with.....but please......
:)
IF.....it's me.......do me a flavor...... copy and paste ANY remark that I made that MIGHT have argued AGAINST the statements you jest made.
:)
~:~ MarshMonster ~hooks a vacume to the bong......the whole world needs some enlightenment~ ~:~
Marsh Monster wrote:
in

I think what marsh is saying is if it don't have a cable, it aint analog.
In article
,

Yup.
That's not a "digital readout," that is merely a data interface. (or communication interface or diagnostic interface) By your logic, any serial port, parallel port, USB port or Firewire port on a PC is a "digital readout."
Sad, so sad...

============== it's my brain........ not yours.
if it's tell'n me a digital signal CAN be "familied" (like that word?).... into the parameters of the definition of "readout".........
then....my brain is not constricted to the confines of "the norm" or of "the acceptable" and it allows me to go above and beyond the limits of the brains of those who "accept" for face value, a doctrine of "that's how it's always done" .
:)
Sometimes......it's amazing what can be accomplished simply by not adhereing to what's "the norm", "acceptable", or "stated to be fact".........
ever seen a point ignition system on a car....... crank run and drive away...........
without an ignition wire !! ??
:)
i have
:)
~:~ marsh ~sips his shroomjuice.....enters another realm~ ~:~
Steve Austin wrote:

Maybe he's playing semantics with whether the underlying information is digital or not. But what the driver SEES is analog if the gauge has a dial and pointer (or bar graph in the case of a '62 Oldsmobile). Just like you don't hear digital sound out of your MP3 player speakers.
And for what its worth, digital information is conveyed by analog voltages that are interpereted as digital bits (with the occasional error that has to be corrected).

MM is trying desperately to show us how 'advanced' he is...

Not really.........
but good guess.
What you shoulda said was that "MM is trying desperately to fk with us.............".
Then...........yer guess woulda been closer to the mark.
:)
~:~ mm ~takes a sips of his crownroyal......stirs in some shroomjuice~ ~:~