Gen light woes

I have a '73 beetle. Today while I was driving then gen light came on. I pulled over and shut er off right away, checked everything I could see and all looked good. Then I noticed that the flashers are not working either. (they were fine before) I am suspecting a short or grounding issue as some of the wiring is a bit unorganized, esp in the front of the car. I am somewhat new at this so any suggestions would be great. Oh, it seems to be running fine. Thanks

Reply to
Stevie G

A fuse making poor contact will do exactly that. They can "look" good and still be bad or not making contact.

Get thee a diagram here:

Speedy Jim

Clean the fuse contacts and replace iffy looking fuses....specifically number 9 IIRC. Clean them all anyway. Same thing happened to me. All weird electrical gremlins usually start with bad fuse contacts.

The same fuse that runs the signal flashers in the cluster runs the gen and oil lights and interior lighting if I remember (and I probably don't) so check your official manual to see what fuse does what if you need to know.

Reply to
Anthony