generator light coming on

i really hope someone can help coz im in a bit of a pickle. a few days ago my generator light flashed on for a bit whilst driving, i turned engine off, then back on again and all was fine. However starting has been getting more difficult and today whilst driving it came on again, my lights dimmed, and car stopped. I put a new battery in the car, hoping this would get me home and it did, but generator light is still on- am i right in thinking that my generator is stuffed- if it is how long can i drive the car before the battery fails on me as im staying about 40 miles (on motorway) away from home and tools!!!! the battery is brand new so is this likely to get me home? would it be better if i drive in day etc so as no lights on?

Reply to
J Hill

I had the same thing happen and my generator was bad. You might make it 40 km in the daytime, but maybe not.

Check your brushes first and see if they're worn out. If they are, replacing them is no big task. If that's not it, you're probablyh looking at a generator or alternator conversion. Or rebuild the generator.

Know that non-Bosch generators are generally junk. Conversion to alternator is about the same price as a new (or even rebuilt Bosch) generator, is a better system, internally regulated, etc.

Reply to
Randall Brink

Reply to
J Hill

With luck and adequate lighting, you should be able to change them with a screwdriver.

Look at them first to see if they are obviously worn down--if they are, then it's worth the trouble to change them and try to restore your gen. output. If they're not, I'd bet they're not your problem (although a dirty armature could also be the problem, and can be cleaned with a little fine sandpaper.)

Ease the clip off the brush, unscrew the fastener at the end of the copper braided wire, fasten the wire for the new brush on, push it in and ease the clip over it--face of the brush down toward armature. There are two of them inside the open access bays of the generator.

It is always a good idea to have a Bentley or John Muir ("How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive") manual in the Bug's bonnet when out of site of your shop. All this is explained in much more thorough and better detail in those manuals.

Reply to
Randall Brink

The fan belt is okay, right?

Then examine your brushes and the commutator.

If the brushes are worn byond limit they may be replaced without dismounting the generator. A couple of locally fabricated tools to hold the springs out of the way makes the job a snap or you can follow the procedure in the workshop manual (ie, not the owners manual).

Whatever you do, IGNORE John Muir's famous sandpaper-on-a-stick trick. This was jus' swell for a Model A Ford but will cost you a generator on a Volkswagen. If the commutator needs to be turned & the mica's cut, you'll have to dismount the generator. This CAN be done in the vehicle if you pull the intake manifold but if you're not a mechanic (and you aren't, since you're seeking advice here) the task will entail fewer hazards if you pull the engine first.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

If the brushes are worn, then you may be able to get home by placing something like a folded matchbook cover between the brushes and the spring. I would go for about a 1/16" thickness for both brushes. This will probably safely get you home. Make sure you use a soft material that if it becomes dislodged, it doesn't damage anything. - Bob

Reply to
Robert

Earlier when I kept refering to the "armature" I meant "commutator". I was writing a column at the same time, and mis-typed.

Randall Brink

Reply to
Randall Brink

I know I've not worked on any VW's yet, but I have a question. Could the voltage regulator be going awry? I had that happen on another car once. Some ham-handed mechanic knocked off some capacitor that came out of the VR and connected to the body and I couldn't get a good charge and my alternator light kept coming on. Replaced it with a new/used part, as new parts weren't readily available then.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

I don't recall if I was getting a generator light or if the battery was just dead or what but one time I was having a problem and it ended up being a grain of sand stuck in between the contact points inside my voltage regulator. Cleaned it out of there and it is still working fine

20 years later.
Reply to
Michael Cecil

My point. At least it bears checking. It can effect things.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

Reply to