Gnats Bugging My Yellow Beetle - Help Please!

Hi! Almost every night before the sun goes down, a small plague of insects gather on my 1973 lunar yellow Beetle and leave orange speckled deposits. That's right! Tiny little orange brown spots. I was thinking that they were attracted to the sweet smelling carnuba wax that I use.

I have been using a Meguir's brand with carnuba wax in it. I have been trying to stay away from polish/waxes that have silicone in them.

Someone told me the gnats, small spiders, or other small insects are attracted to yellow. Actually the orange top with a lunar yellow body looks nice, especially on a cloudy day. Would it hurt to just lightly polish and wax over the orange stains? Do you know of anything I could do to prevent this? Would changing waxes help? Thanks In Advance! JP

Reply to
Jim347a

two words..................car cover

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

.. .. Bugs Bugging his Bug ================ .. .. Dave,

1) Doesn't a "car cover" end up being almost worse than the "bugs which are bugging his bug", because it leads to rust, rust, rust and more rust.

2) Always thought car covers soak the car > two words..................car cover

Reply to
rvirgin22

I think they're mostly a problem when people use them for long term protection. If you're driving the car every few days, and being careful to clean the cover from time to time, I don't think there would be a problem.

Hmmm...maybe invent car wax with citronella oil in it? Stick up a couple bat boxes on your property? Bug zapper? Superglue frogs to the roof?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Yes car covers can create problems of their own but if it is just used overnight then the OP should be fine. Usually the smaller thinner covers can be washed too.

I have used them to cover up some Porsches that I had restored. I noticed no issues with the lightweight ones and we have serious rust here in Chicago. I did not use the really heavy one for fear of condensation like you mentioned. I even gave that new cover away. ;-(

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Bug Zapper... maybe?

BZZZZZPTH...

no more bugs on your bug and and it doesn't bug you anymore... : )

Reply to
dragenwagen

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote in news:1193329706.742177.18840 @v23g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

Nope, they like certain yellow colors. I had a 67 MGB-GT I had repainted Covette Yellow (from the original MG yellow) - and every morning, I had to wash the gnats and small nightbugs off of it. Drove me crazy. I changed cleaners, waxes, etc. No change in bug attacks. Finally talked to a Corvette owner that confirmed the issue - his was yellow and if he left it outdoors - covered in small bugs.

I would keep it good and waxed, just to make it easy to remove the little buggers and to keep the stains out of the paint.

It finally came to covering the car with a good (not Wal-Mart brands) car cover to keep them off my MG (didn't have a garage at the time).

Reply to
Barnhart Pinball