Replacement Headlights

I plan on replacing my headlights. Any recommendations? Its a '65 T1 12 volt with stock connectors.

Reply to
Eddie

dude, i just came here to post about headlights. i also have a '65 bug, but 6 volts. i installed new headlights a few months ago, just the stock types from CIP, and it's been a huge problem. now my battery drains whenever i drive with my headlights (ie, at night). i might not be producing enough power, im going to replace my generator brushes today or tomorrow and see if that helps. the new headlights are so much brighter and it's great - but beware, if you've got a sort of a shoddy electric system, it could push you over the edge. but since you have a 12v, you will probably be fine.

does anyone have any advice for me? id love to convert my car to 12v or replace my wiring harness, but i am a poor college student. i will admit, ive been considering buying a dimmer knob for a few bucks and dimming my headlights :-\

Reply to
ZombieSlayerTom

If you want good quality, go with original Hella units (they are available new).

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Thanks to SJ

[...]

the headlights draw so much power that you would most likely just burn out your dimmer in a hurry. (unless you find one that was made for that purpose, and I haven't heard of such things - only seen it on some modern cars... automatically lowered power in daylight and full power in dark)

Bottom line is, if you have stock type equipment in the car, the original charging system should be well enough to keep things going. You have a problem somewhere, fix it. Don't hide it with workarounds.

Maybe your battery is no longer taking in full charge. Or maybe your generator is no longer giving full charge out. Maybe the voltage reguilator is faulty.

Jan

Reply to
Jan