Got a gas heater

What strange critter these gas heaters are. Where does a person find a new sparker for them? Mine is there, but it's a little loose and wanders left and right about a few millimeters.

Reply to
jjs

Ummmmmmmm. There were a couple of mfr's and several models.

Start here maybe for parts:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Ah hah! Yep, this one is 'something else'. No VW part numbers, and the patent markings are French, Canadian and USA.

Done that. No luck. Methinks this is another part for the Big Box in the Attic. :) ...unless you want it. (It's a 6V thing.)

Reply to
jjs

The ignition device is either a standard spark plug or standard deisel style glow plug on most models. Take that out and see if the local parts store can match it up. Should be able to use a standard sleeve too, but you'd have to order that in if needed in most places

Reply to
Ed B

[...]

If you showed me a picture, I might be able to recognize it? I know just about all of the ones from Europe.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I appreciate that, Jan, but I'm not terribly concerned about it. It's just more swap meet fare.

Reply to
jjs

Take pictures! :) Has the weather reached freezing there yet? It has here.

Reply to
jjs

I'm currently installing an Eberspacher BN4 in my bus...

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Pretty close, single digits... (freezing = 0 deg Celcius) The north had snow already... argh.

My winter car is still waiting for paint...

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Ehh, no...

Eberspacher at least has used their own special plugs. The function is exactly as you describe. There are also models that use a combination plug, same plug has both spark and glow.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Nope. This one has a very long electrode which sparks to a separate part, not itself by a center ground.

Reply to
jjs

Jan, Question, My BN2 takes several turn ons to run. A real pain because if it does not go on, the " no flane circuit goes into effect" shutting the unit down. I then have to stop the bug open the hood and reset it. That sucks when it is cold and you are on the highway. I was thinking it may be my fuel pump not putting the gas to the burner in time. The guy that ran the Heated Company in the west said there is a coil that acts like a resistor that he cuts a coil off to speed up the process. But I could not find any coil. Once it starts it runs great. joe

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

Maybe the combustion chamber is dirty (sooty) and the glow plug too. have you replaced the plug?

I have a gas heater on my 67 that works a little different, it first heats up the glow plug and when it detects it's hot enough, it opens gasoline feed and turns the fan on. I think the BN2 is a little more instant with starting? It's been a while since I played with one. Anyway, mine had the same poor starting issue, and cleaning the plug carefully didn't really help.

I took the damn thing to pieces and cleaned the stainless steel combustion chamber first mechanically as well as I could, then with electrolysis...

Starts almost every time now.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

The BN2 does indeed have a "coil"; actually it's a heavy-duty resistor in series with the glow plug. As the glow plug ages, it draws less current and doesn't get hot enough for reliable ignition. Cutting a "turn" off the dropping resistor (or putting a resistor in parallel with the dropping resistor will make the glow hotter. On the downside, it may shorten glow plug life.

IIRC, the "coil" is inside the heater shell.

Another possibility is that the heater is not getting full battery voltage; that's a problem in the beetle due to the long run from the battery. You might run a separate #8 Ga (or even #6) direct from battery to the heater. Put a 40Amp automotive circuit breaker in the line, right at the battery.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

NO it ain't.

And would ya quit multiposting? Thank ye!

Reply to
jjs

Wow! Mine is stone-stupid. You hit the ON button and gas starts pumping into the chamber, the blower blows, and the sparker sparks. It doesn't know or give a damn is there's no ignition. Sometimes the first ignition is delayed and you get a big BOOM! So, I got the EXCITING one, eh?

Man, I gotta put this on ebay. :)

Reply to
jjs

Ed, I have an extra plug but where do you get these plugs matched up. Some guys pay $40 for a plug. You mean like from an auto parts Store?? Autozone? I ran an 8 ga wire directly from the battery, it got voltage and current. I hear the pump clicking alway. If you don't run it for a while can the pump need priming? Joe