Ghia bodywork

Am making some progress. I am replacing a large portion of the left rear fender and have cut the main replacement section (oversized) to overlay the fender.

http://66.225.214.60/ghia/MVC-565F.JPGhttp://66.225.214.60/ghia/MVC-566F.JPG So the next step is to begin trimming the car to match the edges of the replacement fender. In some places I would like to go with a flanged joint. Can anyone recommend a good tool to form a flange? Harbor Freight has a air-powered tool for around $50, but it seems like there would be a hand-tool for the job as well.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Eastwood Co has hand flangers but might be more than the air powered one from HF.

Reply to
GaryH

Eastwood. Of course. And it looks like they have several types, including Item No. 31015 that looks like a specialized vice-grip for about 28 bucks.

Each of the Eastwood flangers handle up to 18 gauge metal... What gauge sheet was used for VWs in 1967? How does one convert gauge to inches?

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Got it.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

I think the Ghia will have 18 guage. Go with the pnematic flanger as it will save a lot of time & effort, plus if it's like the one I have it also punches holes - very handy. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

VWs have around 20-22 guage I think. At least my Ghia did. Converting from gauage to inches is easy. 16 guage = 1/16", 20 guage = 1/20", etc.

Reply to
GaryH

Take a look at my ghia site... I welded strips on the inside of the cut edge to create flanges. You also have the option of overlapping the patch. Punch/drill holes along the edge and plug weld. The material is thin enough that if you apply the filler correctly it'll be fine.

Reply to
Mel P.

Hey Mel:

I saw your Ghia in Hot VWs at one of the shows. Congrats on you award for the nice looking car. Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

Ghia sheet metal is about 19 or 20 gage. If you must flange the metal, it is pretty easy to make your own flanging tool. Make a set of dies from flat bar or whatever, that have the desired flange, connect them together with flat bar so they look like a long shallow "V". a "U" The opening of the "V" or "U" has the dies welded to it...slip the dies over the metal edge..pound with a hammer...back into newsgroup hibernation for me...

John

John Kelly