grumpf! how to reach *that* engine bolt

Hi there

Little out of ideas trying to reach the upper left (driver's side) engine-transaxle bolt.

Its that type without NUT (crankcase has a fixed round bolt). So its meant to be reached from down under...but gosh...the bolt is so close to the clutch lever...and there is the heat exchanger in between...can't put any of my ratchets there...

you think that the heat exchanger can be removed? looks like dificult to me...boh

somebody can enlighten me? :)

cheers

Reply to
Kuebel Guy

LONG extension, 17mm socket, and a ratchet will do the trick. Skinny little arms would help :) Luckily I'm equipped with both :D There is no need to remove the heat exchanger. You may want to yank the plastic accordeon tube out to gain more room.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

yum

you mean that looking from top side, the extension will not interfere with anyting? yep, accordeon is out already :)

humm humm never thought about that one...

thanks Jan as usual!

Reply to
Kuebel Guy

It helps if you jack up that side and remove the rear wheel. Then you can loosen the 17mm bolt while kneeling outside the fender. Otherwise you have to lie on your back underneath the car and reach up.

Some sockets don't allow enough clearance between the bolt and the tranny case. Every time I install a different tranny I grind off material on the case where it surrounds the bolt.

Randall

Reply to
Randall Post

extension worked smoothly :) owe you a beer Jan :)

Reply to
Kuebel Guy

Make that a Cuba Libre ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I used a bunch of ratchet 3/8 extensions, universals etc..gotta get both arms up and hads up near clutch lever..make sure engine is cool. Howie

Reply to
Howard and Hope

I was shown a little trick by an old VW mechanic in my home town to reach that stubborn bolt on my '65 bug. He has a ratchet wrench that is offset on both ends with a 17mm on one side. The offset allows me to reach it and the ratchet end allows me to move it about 10 degrees each pull without having to reseat the wrench after each pull.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 beta 25 * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

John Mike