head stripped!

Just have that one spark plug hole fixed, if the head checks out otherwise. In a stock engine, small cracks in the combustion chamber are allowed.

I take mine to a guy who does aluminum welding for a living, he does these small jobs after working hours for me at a reasonable price. Welding up a stripped spark plug hole is around 15-20 dollars. Then you still need to drill a new hole and tap it for the original plug thread. If you don't have the tools and experience, that part is best left for the machine shop. They could infact do the welding too.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

On my way to work yesterday the sparkplug for the first cylinder desided to shoot itself out and strip the head.

Is there any quick fix that can be done to get me by until this weekend? I don't have the $130 that VDUB Folks want for a new head. Also when I get the head should I replace both or just the one? I've never had any problems like this before.

Thanks for any info John

Reply to
JOHN KUSTERBECK

weekend? I

********** A good stopgap measure is to use an insert; it's a threaded steel sleeve & you just tap the hole for it (tap & all comes in a kit) & thread it in & replace the spark plug. I've used these on occasion & they always worked out great. Don't ask me where to buy them 'cause my past source went out of business & I haven't done much aircooled engine work recently. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

I just did a google for "spark plug thread repair" and found this among others,

the head will need removing to avoid the swarf getting into thecylinder, but it is cheaper than a new head. Good luck,

Tony.

Reply to
Tony Wilkinson

Coat the tap with vaseline, and you'll be fine.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Any NAPA or AutoZone, parts store will have a 14mm aluminum head spark plug repair kit. They include several inserts and a tap. Just use grease on the tap and you won't have to remove the head. Any slight aluminum filings that do enter will blow out the exhaust.

Jim SR Racing

Reply to
Jim

I picked up a kit from AutoZone last night. I'm going to try it today.

Thanks

John

Reply to
JOHN KUSTERBECK

Reply to
ilambert

Interesting problem Kluster, you might want to try a horizontally opposed pot transplant, mixed in with a 12 blade fan conversion in order to take advantage of the back pressure qualities of a stainless system, made famous by the fuhrer himself post WWII with a 750 holley double pumper and expansion chamber installation in order to increase the brake fluid to dot

Reply to
griplimit