Heater Knobs

Under the driver's seat on my 71 bus is a small, acorn-shaped heater knob that does not want to move in or out. At the rear of the passenger compartment, in front of the two floor heater vents, are two more of these knobbies. Neither of them wants to move, either. Visual inspection of the portion of the shafts that can be seen between the knob and the fitting it goes into does not show any indication of rust or other evil stickum that might explain their lack of adjustability. I am puzzled. I hesitate to grab the knobs with my pliers and tug on them for fear of cracking them. Any tips on the best way to apply pulling force to these guys while doing the least amount of damage to them?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot