Help!! No reverse

Hi! I'm a new user and a new owner of a 78 VW Camperbus. I can't find reverse! I thought since it has the same engine as my porsche 914 it would be to the left & down, but no luck. I can't push it by myself & my closest neighbor is a 1/4 mile away! any suggestions? (Please try to refrain from "park on a hill & let it roll back in nuetral" answers) Thanks!

Reply to
Steve Roberts

Left and down is correct.

More specifically, Left Push down and left (the "down" motion unlocks Reverse) pull lever toward you.

If that doesn't do it, then there is wear in the various parts of the shift rod or mis-adjustment.

One thing you can do is observe the rubber coupling underneath , just ahead of the transmission. Besides moving fore and aft, the coupling rotates to

3 specific angular positions. Have someone select 3/4 gears, then 1/2, then Reverse. The coupling should turn progressively to the 3 angles.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks! that did the trick. It still feels like I'm shifting through mud, but at least I'm not stuck in the garage.

Reply to
Steve Roberts

After you have followed Speedy Jim's correct advice try a little lube at the base of the shifter, this will help smooth things. There may be a bunch of gunk clogging the shifter socket so you may want to take te time to pull the shifter, also make note of bolt locations as the shifter is adjustable.

Reply to
Volksrod