Hesitation

Hi all, We have a 1982 2L camper (Transporter) which hesitates when under pressure ie hill, head wind, over 50mph. To save time I'll list the stuff my husband's done to try to cure the problem. Timing, changed all hoses, fitted electric fuel pump, changed fuel filter, tried no fuel filter, checked at fuel cap for 'sucking' - none, changed plugs, changed plug leads, checked vacuum thingy at distributor. It's electronic ignition. You will notice I haven't mentioned carburettor, but this is because he's hoping wildly it's not it as it's too big a job for him. It would be great if I could produce a solution for him from you guys so any suggestions other than the dreaded 'take the carburettor off' would be greatly appreciated. TIA Regards Denise

Reply to
mistyb

Take the carb off.

LOL!

First, I have to tell you that most of the guys on here are in the US and have no exp with the 2.0L carbby. (Me included...)

"Hesitates under pressure" does that mean only when one suddenly presses accelerator to the floor? Or, something else.

The carb (whatever type) has an accelerator jet to enrich fuel as the throttle is opened. Worth checking.

Timing can be critical. Not just initial timing but what happens as vacuum goes down during acceleration. Test the vacuum mechanism on the distributor. If by chance this distrib has 2 vacuum hoses, those diaphragms are subject to failure frequently.

Weak spark or failing hi-tension components (wires, cap, rotor, coil) can cause it under any heavy load condition.

There is an on-line forum specifically for UK folk:

Bet someone on there knows the ins and outs... Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Ha ha, where *did* you get that link !!!

also try

the kampertech forum....

Reply to
Juper Wort

Hi all, Just to let you know the carbs have been off, are on again(minus a large flake of dirt) and it's cured!!! And so the learning curve goes on. Thanks for your help. Regards Denise

Reply to
mistyb

"mistyb" schreef in bericht news:d6addg$5tb$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

Makes you wonder why you didn't check here first One good comes out of this all; you have a lot (!) of good spare parts.....:-)

Roger

Reply to
bug '59