Carb fettling.

Can some one remind me, on the V8 as you look at it from the front, which carb adjusts mixture on which cylinders?

Getting the old colourtune & gunsons gas tester out tomorrow and hope to get Morph back rolling. :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Thingy_wotsit

Good luck!

On a similar note - when you borrowed my spare saab carb to try on J-Lo, did you change the needle in it? I've had to raid that carb to get my yellow car on the road (since i couldnt get the emissions low enough with the existing needle), and it has a different needle in to what it should have.

Or can anybody point me to an online listing of carb needles and what sizes different numbers are? I'm dealing with a stromberg CD175. the needle should be a B1DS, but i currently have a B2xx. Is this likely to just be an oversize one for worn needle valves? (I can get the CO a lot lower using the B2 needle!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sun, 2 Oct 2005 23:06:58 +0100, "Thingy_wotsit" enlightened us thusly:

's complicated. I *think* you can tell from looking at a manifold. no. 1 is front left bank, the cylinders are left bank 1-3-5-7 and right bank

2-4-6-8.

the carbs feed 1-4-6-7 and 2-3-5-8, but I can't remember which is which - I think they feed the middle cylinders on the opposite side, so the RH carb feeds 2-3-5-8 and the LH carb feeds 1-4-6-7, BICBW.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

YCBWBYN. 10/10 Austin, go to the top of the class. :-) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

A B B A B A A B

Reply to
Mother

During stardate Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:09:20 +0100, Tom Woods uttered the imortal words:

Nope it was bunged on, worked a treat and whipped off by Dad after sis got a sparkly new Carb.

No idea about the numbers but if you need any bits can recommend Mayson and Solomon at Ecceshall, well I think I can anyway ask me in a couple of hours!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

During stardate Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:45:08 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" uttered the imortal words:

Thanks all, glad I asked :0)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

During stardate Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:04:03 +0100, Lee_D uttered the imortal words:

Carbs seem to be ok, I got the CO down to 3.5 and a nice blue flame with the slightest occasional tinge of orange on tickover. (Colour tune). COuld have got it lower but rumor has it 101's run better at the higher CO (by high I mean 3.5%)

Once I refitted all the air filter gubbins CO went up to 6%.

I've yet to check the air filter. Is this normal though? Should I have set up the mixture with all the air filter gubbins bolted on?

Are 101 Air filters fitted to any other Landie or are they one-offs?

I still think the timing is out and will take a look at this tomorrow. Reason I suspect this is that when pulling away from a junction and accelerating I occasionally get some pops in the inlet manifold.. or is this likely to be cross fire? Got new leads on order from Richard.

Lee D

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

Would have been better. Filters will make a slight difference, but if there is a drastic change then the filter is too restrictive, especially at the lower airflow at idle.

Don't know.

Cross-firing only really happens if the leads are routed incorrectly and there is degradation in the ht system. It's actually quite rare, but it's good practice to route the leads as per the many diagrams in the haynes books etc, ensuring that 3 and 5 are crossed (5 and 7 separated, that's the

2 that will cross-fire if any). Pops are usually down to vacuum leaks or fuelling (too lean, or diaphragm issues) Check distributor vacuum capsule also. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

During stardate Mon, 3 Oct 2005 17:48:09 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" uttered the imortal words:

Right, had another tinker and the high emmisions seems to be from one carb.

I put the gas tester on this morning and ran it initially with the air filter out , then again with it in. No noticable difference at tickover.

I checked the carbs with the colour tune and one was running rich. I'll put it down to teething problems. I adjusted that carb and the co came back into line. Checked the second carb on the coour tune and that was fine.

Took him for a run and he seems much better now. Only thing is on a hill under acceleration he is missing, now I can hear a tic tic tic as it's missing which last time I was brave enough to run with the lid off was the plug leads earthing against the block rather than through the plug. I'll await the new leads and see whats what then unless any one has any other pearls of wisdom.

The popping - only happend on choke today, once it had warmed up it was fine. Only popped when I stopped at a layby to peer under the arch to check the plug leads. Did it's usual trick of waiting till I was in a precarious position before letting rip with a delayed backfire from the exhaust... I swear its got a sick sense of humour. (this was after negotiating the hill where it was missing)

Lee D

--

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

He he...

Don't buy Land Rover products if you have a poor sense of humour. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Mon, 03 Oct 2005 09:46:55 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

# Waterloo, couldn't escape if I wanted to...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

ROFL!

Wot about super trooper, trade in for a disco you know you want to.....

just add the music. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I'll never forget that carb/cylinder layout now! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Many years ago I stumbled accross the original lyrics for a well known Janice Joplin song, which obviously showed she had great foresight.....

"Oh Lord won't you buy me a Defender One Ten, My friend all drive nineties, So I need to make amends, The old one's worked hard now, it's been a good friend, But Lord won't you buy me a brand new One Ten"

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Ah, I'll add a couple too then...