Home made caster shims?

Has anyone had any success making their own caster shims? I'm thinking of putting in my new beam w/adjusters this weekend, but I forgot to order the shims when I bought the beam a few months back. Could one just make their own from some exhaust pipe with the right diameter? How thick do the shims need to be? (2 1/2" drop, ball joint front end)

Mike Kayer

Reply to
MK

You "can" make your own, but the shim is actually offset or wedge shaped due to the geometry involved, about 1/2" behind the lower beam shoulg get you started in the right direction. They don't cost much though, try:

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Mike,

For a small amount, I've used old bearing slippers/shells. May not be enough for your setup.

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

You need to go with longer bolts too if ysing the store bought ones.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Caster shims are not symetric (single thickness) like exhaust, or any other pipe is. Do yourself a huge favor and spend the very few dollars and buy the right stuff. And longer bolts.

Reply to
jjs