Hoses and wires for new carb

The Wonderbus's new 34 PICT carb finally arrived. Some will recall that the Wonderbus's (1971) original engine had dual Kadrons, but the new Mexi 1600DP is being built up as stock as I can make it. The new carb has several hose ports and wire terminals I need to sort out. I could use some help.

Hose ports:

A. Small-diameter port to the right of the throttle return spring, midway down the carb body. Presently capped.

B. Small-diameter port next to the idle adjust screw.Presently capped.

I'll wager one of these goes to the advance port on the dizzie. The other? Bentleys Stationwagon/Bus 1968 - 1979 manual does not say.

Electrical terminals:

C. Throttle. What do I wire this to? The + terminal on the coil per Bentleys?

D. Labeled "electromagnetic cutoff valve," Kadrons got no such thing. Wire to same place as throttle, I reckon.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Retard vac port. Should be slightly bigger diam.

Advance port. Smaller diam.

You're right! I couldn't find it either. But look at Fig 19-5 (Engine section). That shows the dual diaphragm distributor (ignore all the other stuff). '71 used this distrib too. The small port on the "back" of the can goes to the Advance port on carb. The slightly larger port on the "front" of the can goes to the Retard port.

If you don't have this, cap off unused ports.

How you time it will depend entirely on the distrib you have.

Yeah. Connect an alligator clip to the throttle lever and to the coil! LOL Just yanking chain.

I bet you meant to type "Choke". Connect choke to Coil +.

Cutoff valve solenoid also goes to Coil +.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

....maybe he's planning a schmancy "fly by wire" system using the throttle to coil...via a nice NOS 12ax7 mullard and foil caps for period correctness....

...Gareth.

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Arf Arf! I'm sure Mike and a few others remember the 12AX7 (ECC83) with fondness.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

[snip]

Are there nice illustrations of the 34 PICT anywhere on the 'net? With ports labeled and good stuff like that? Distributors seem to be poorly-documented, from what I've seen.

I'll work with John C. on this - got an SVDA dizzie.

LOL! "Choke" is what I had in mind . . . and about what I did with that mouthful of broccoli when I read your answer to my goofy mistake!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Heh. The VW aircooled engine predates the 12AX7.

/Remembers/ them! Ask near any professional guitarist -- he uses them every day!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...the 1971 vw???? hmmm??? I thought not....thats prime axy territory there... =-)))))

....Gareth (who is wondering even after having read a few reviews...what the GT12AX7M feels like....and yes it is feel...thats what makes a good tube....)

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

The first KdF-Wagens' -- VW -- cars using the aircooled engine rolled off the line in September 1939. The 12AX7 miniature 9-pin dual high-mu triode was introduced in 1948.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...yes but I was talking period correct for *your* bus....oir do ya own a KDF now?? =-))

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Oh -- no. I wuz talking the engine. You're right then.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...well of course I am. How foolish for you to have insinuated otherwise..

Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Please don't whack my pee-pee.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

....hmnmm....I think I'll let Inge meter the punishment...please post pics of her in her disciplinary uniform...

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Nah. Not nice. Just some shitty ones.