How long does a solid shortblock/bottom end last

I know nobody likes to answer these questions as their a tons of variables to consider such as: How often oil is changed, oil quality, engine temp, thrashing the engine, blah blah.

But I have heard that the long block usually lasts about 60,000 miles.

How long can you expect a well looked after short block to last?

Just curious.

Reply to
zigford
60k sounds about right according to john mayer. just because you don't drive the car fast doesn't mean engine will last. there is also underreving factor....

anton

zigford wrote:

Reply to
anton

I thought the 60k was long block? (Pistons, rings, cylinders and heads)

What is life of shortblock? (crank, cam, lifters, rods, case)

Thanks

Reply to
zigford

if i had to guess, would go with 60k on bottom end. If the car is well taken care of, you can still reuse crank, rods, maybe pistons, case as not as it's not cracked and never been aligned bored before. As long as wear is within the specs you wouldn't need to replace major components.

If I were to rebuild an engine, lifters and cam would be on my parts list.

These are all positive estimates, not always realistic unless you are the owner of the engine and know that parts used to build it are good quality. If you want to get more info on this topic i would suggest looking on the samba or shoptalkforums.

shoptalkforums have quite a few very knowledgle folks on engine building/rebuilding. Probably some who rebuilds engines for living and can speak from expirience.

Anton

zigford wrote:

Reply to
anton

The life expectancy of a longblock, or even a shotblock. is directly related to several factors. Quality of parts, care of assembly, driving styles knowledge of limitations (may well be related to driving styles).

A better question may be what are your expectations??

A type one,,...when assembled to specifications, and driven within reccomended parameters, can and will last a long long while. There are more than a few documented stories of people going hundreds of thousands of miles on the original engines...

There are few engines assembled to specifications.

The Bentley is a good modern source for specs.

Live it, Learn it Love it.....

Balance...balance..balance.

Do not make then engine fight itself.

FUEL INJECTION...COATINGS....SYNTHETICS....FILTRATION...

There is a lot of info out there..

Read this forum

Read Shop Talk...

Search Out Bob Hoovers Posts...

Its Not Magic....well maybe a litle

This is science, and care of assembly...

Please let us know your goals.

We can tell you if they are realistic.

Reply to
Gary Tateosian