i have a question

so im re building an engine and im having trouble figure out what the in and out lines are on a stock fule pump please some one help so i dont screw up this motor

Reply to
TattoodDriver

I am not really following the question here. What do you mean what they are? They are cloth braided rubber fuel hoses, black or gray color. 8mm is black and 7mm is gray, if I am not mistaken. Did I get this right?

-Ant> so im re building an engine and im having trouble figure out what the

Reply to
anton

Reply to
Eddie

your guess is as good as mine.

Ant> Maybe he is talk> > I am not really following the question here. What do you mean what

Reply to
anton

not to get off topic, but I had to switch to google to see and respond to messages. I used OE 7, but it stopped dl messages. How about anybody else?

Eddie

quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Reply to
Eddie

Looks like the network came back up around 4 PM today. Try your usual news feed again.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I had that problem too except with OE6. I had to reset and delete all messages and reload all headers to see any posts.

And I thought most of those braided fuel and vacuum hoses were grayish on the outside and I have 3 of the most common VW sizes. :-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I guess they might come in gray as well. It's just the last time i was replumbing my fuel system, I picked up wrong size which was 8mm and it was black. I doubt it was for fuel injection. It was german for sure.

Ant> I had that problem too except with OE6. I had to reset and delete all

Reply to
anton

one side sucks the other blows. If you got it wrong, the only thing bad that will happen is it will try fill the tank with air. just reverse the hoses. Hope this helps. enjoy!

Reply to
ITMFA

some years had a pump that sucked fuel in at the bottom and blew it out of the top fitting, but some models were reversed. Most aftermarket pumps have the outlet at the top. You can never be sure though, and a dry pump doesn't pump much of anything. Put some fuel directly into one or both fittings to prime the pump, and pump it a few times manually to see which hole squirts fuel out.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I am with Jan here about different piping..................... I thought the top of the "newer" fuel pumps were the inlet and some even had a small screen inside that would catch large debris at least with the gold top fuel pumps. ;-) Newer style shown here

here
On the older ones the inlet nipple seems to be lower than the outlet nipple shown here
here
I have seen quite a few different fuel pumps on top of the air cooled Beetle engines so they might be piped differently........................ Well at least you have a 1 out of 2 chance of being right! lol All the mechanical pumps that I have pumped by hand, created a vacuum, if they are good! ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

"Jan" wrote

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1