I'm gonna need some more advice on the Vee Dub

Today I changed the fuel filter on this fuel injected Bug. I still hear noise coming from the gas tank when the fuel pump is running. Is there an extra screen inside the tank that might be clogged? It sounds like water is bubbling inside the gas tank or there might be an obstruction somewhere but I'm not sure. I cut open the old fuel filter but I didn't see it clogged up to the point where fuel couldn't pass. But for some reason putting on a new fuel filter helped quiet down the fuel pump and so now it vibrates less. How involved is cleaning this tank? Do I have to drive it until it is bone dry then take off the top part? How do you remove the screen inside the tank if there is one?

Also I would like to know about the torque ratings for the bolts that hold the oil sump in place. The 6 nuts underneath, how many inch pounds? Also the big oil drain plug, how many inch pounds should that be torqued at?

Lastly, the car makes a popcorn maker sound out of the exhaust pipe only when I am cruising down a long hill with the Bug in 3rd gear and no foot on the gas pedal or the clutch. It does not do this 100% of the time. Probably about 85% of the time it will do this. Depends on the incline and how fast I am going.

The decelerator valve works great so it's not that. My valves are adjusted at .006 so it's not a tight valve. My ignition timing and dwell is set correctly. And I just can't figure out what would cause this. The Auxiliary air valve and 5th fuel injector also seem to be working fine.

If the Bug has a faulty air box/air flow meter. What would be the signs and symptoms?

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

I guess one possibility is an exhaust leak between one cylinder head and the pipe flange. I am not an expert on fuel injected VW engines though but that would most likely be the cause in carburettor models.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Right. Look for a tiny exhaust leak above all else.

The mesh filter screen in the tank outlet was dropped early in the '75 model year; the large external filter ahead of the FI pump takes its place.

The tank can make gurgling noises due to the amount of fuel dumped back in by the pump (recirculation). If the pump is worn, it can make all sorts of weird noises.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

. =A0How involved is

Here are 2 links on how to clean and seal the gas tank. The outside temperature needs to be 70 degrees F or above for at least

3 days for the sealer to dry.

  1. Obtain about a quart of sharp-pointed gravel from a roadside, wash it thoroughly, and allow it to dry.
  2. Pour the gravel into the fuel tank and shake the tank vigorously for several minutes to loosen any rust and scale that may have built up in the tank.

Note: instead of gravel I used a 12 inch piece of chain about the same thickness as tire chains for cold snowy weather wrapped with about the same length of swing set type of chain.

Jim347a

Do not use a chain or any other metal objects. They can create sparks as you shake them inside the tank. You don't want sparks inside your fuel tank. Even after flushing the tank 3 times with water, there will still be enough fumes to ignite a flame, possibly blow up the whole tank. I know. :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan