I'm stumped, hey Speedy

The high beams don't work. I've just completed a re-wire job using the supplied instructions and the Bentley book('70-'79). Everything else works fine, I have a 73 beetle. I've got the wiring done just like it says on page

39J line 15 and 16 of the Bentley book. In the wiring diagram it only shows four connections to the dimmer relay. On the new dimmer relay I have, it has five. The one with no wire going to it on the relay stand is labeled 30. I tried jumping the post labeled S on the relay to the ground, bypassing the dimmer switch on the steering column, but nothing happened. I know the High beams work, I swapped the yellow and white wires on Fuse# 6 and 4 and the lights went from low to high. I know it's possible the relay is bad but I replaced it for the same reason. Anybody got an idea? Dan
Reply to
EuroBug

That's a different kind of relay from stock. Try connecting Term #30 to Term #56.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

You mean connect a wire from term #30 to term #56 *on the relay*? Dan

Reply to
EuroBug

Reply to
EuroBug

That sounds like this relay is bad or it is one intended for use with hi-beam "flash" feature. I haven't run into it before. The correct part you want is: 411 941 583C.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim