IDF or IDA?

What are the differences beetween the Weber IDF's and the IDA's? What applications should require either one?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I was just reading on the aircooled.net site... it says that IDAs were meant for race applications (though "these do work very well on the street").

Read here:

-Rob J

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote:

Reply to
Rob J

IDA

IDF

The IDA is a physically much larger carb than the IDF. The IDA was/is usually used in drag racing applications where only idle and full throttle are used. IDA's lack (in stock form) the proper progression circuitry to be driveable. They can be modified to perform very well . IDA's are also more exspensive IDF's are more street friendly out of the box, but don't provide the performance potential of the IDA's.

Short answer IDA's Hot street car or drag car, IDF's will work on anything from a 1600 stocker to a 2L+ Stroker

Both can provide performance and economy, when set-up properly.

Reply to
Ryan Moore

Wow! Look at the price difference between the two! More than double.

BTW, Ryan, cool offroading pics with your baja.

-Rob

Ryan Moore wrote:

Rob J

That's the best reason I have to get IDF's

Karls Vladimir Peña

Heck, I'm "in the business" and even I run IDFs on my street cars. The performance difference in 99% of the engines is similar. IDFs have filters that fit, it's easier to change plugs, they drive nicer, they are less $ (for the carbs and the spare parts), and a guy I know did dyno test on both, and most street engines make more power with IDFs.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Thanks dude, I really need to document more of my "Adventures" though. :-)

Reply to
Ryan Moore