Ignition Coil overheats?

Is it possible for the ignition coil to overheat? I was driving the other day in a relatively warm temp. I stopped for gas and couldn't start
afterwards. When I tried about a 1/2 hr later, it started right up like nothing happened.
BTW: it's my 77 Bug w/ stock FI
tia,
--
Mel P.

parts for sale http://melsvws.4t.com/vwparts/index.htm

Check valve clearances, sounds like an overheating issue. A coil on the blink will start to miss when warm before giving up.
J.

I,d agree it sounds like a overheating issue, was wondering if its was more fuel related .Not sure about FI on Beetles though, only the Fastbacks had it in Aust.