VWs in California?

Do VWs ('71 for example) need any special anti-smog equipment in California?

Tom

Reply to
Vic20Owner

1970 vehicles are thankfully carry the antique vehicle exemption from smog tests for now. I don't know about 1971s.

Smog requirements are having stock equipment, in functioning condition. And the vehicle must pass a certian level of emissions.

should have everything you need to know. I asked my FLAPS lady how business was doing, and she said that business has been going up for the older cars. Due mostly to maintainability, and smog exemptions.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

As of right now, 1974 and older (that includes 1974) do NOT need smog inspections.

After the new year supposedly 1975 and older will also be exempt, but this is always apt to change.....the smog laws are such a mess in this state, and now with the budget problems who knows if they'll change their mind AGAIN.

The way the law is written it says that even though you don't need to have your car smog checked you still can't remove or disable and smog equipment......but unless some official type happens to look at your car how will they ever really know? Because of that, many people just go ahead and strip off most of the stuff.

-ANT

St> > Do VWs ('71 for example) need any special anti-smog equipment in > > California?

Reply to
ANT

My `73 is exempt, so I'm more than sure your `71 is, too.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

ANT is right, things are always subject to change. That's why it's real important to watch what's going on in Sacramento and if there's any fool plan to change the law not in our exempt-status favor, we need to call our representatives and let them know our feelings. This happened earlier this year with Senate Bill 708.

The part of that bill that would have affected us was amended OUT of the bill because of all the flames they were getting from us old car owners. I personally called the offices of over a dozen state senators registering my opposition.

How do you learn about such crap going on in Sac? Just keep your eyes and ears open, like reading this newgroup, your local paper, etc. You'll notice it. Anyway, that's part of your civic responsibility.

This is probably even more important these days. Here in the SF Bay Area, all the smog stations now converted over to those dyno-type machines. I'm *sure* those machines' computers don't know squat about my ACVW.

-Rob

ANT wrote:

Reply to
Rob J

Now, how about the emissions tests? An easy pass for an ACVW, or does one need to do a little carb and timing tweaking? My bus has a 1776 Type 1 in it with a performance cam, single carb.

Tom

Reply to
Vic20Owner

I checked. It is 1974 on Jan 1, or 1975 models that were sold before Jan

1, 1974. No exceptions. It has to be legitimately 30 years on the road.

I'm in the process of finding one myself - no smog is a huge money saver, since they run pretty clean if well maintained.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

When I lived in SoCal in 1989, I had to put the vacuum distributor back on in order to pass the smog inspection on my '69. Not the sniffer test - just the visual test; they wouldn't pass it with an 009. He took one look and said "nope". I had the original oil bath aircleaner, vent tube, original style (weber) carb, etc. so not sure if they would have required those but I suspect they would have. So make sure it at least looks original (unless the rules have changed since '89 or if your '73 is now exempt).

Reply to
John Rutledge

Keep in mind that Califnornia law still requires a smog check for transfer of ownership of these older vehicles. So the engine will have to pass smog if you're buying or selling. But once you have it, you're exempt.

But, transfer of ownership between (most) relatives will also allow an exemption from a XoO smog check. This requires you to fill out a Statement of Fact form. Easy.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob J

Right, there are two major areas of the smog check: Visual inspection and the sniff.

Your engine may run pretty darn clean and put out much less than the allowed levels of CO, HC, CO2, etc, but if you have dual carbs or a 009 or a not-stock aircleaner, you fail immediately. That's the visual and it's the first thing they do: They LOOK AT YOUR ENGINE.

But again, most techs at these corner shops don't know squat about ACVWs. And that's more dangerous and a pain in the butt than if they did know something about them.

-Rob

John Rutledge wrote:

Reply to
Rob J

So, do I need to pick up a vacuum distrubutor for my 71 (for testing :) or am I exempt and can continue with my 009 ?

Reply to
Vic20Owner

Maybe try it first and shop around for a station that will pass you?

Reply to
John Rutledge

We had a Nissan once - totally stock. The smog station tech (in the Peoples Republic of Oregon) thought some mystery smog tube was missing and wouldn't pass me (after sitting in line for an hour). I insisted I hadn't removed anything and owned the car since new. I had to go to Nissan and get a written affadavit stating that the car was not missing this tube of mystery. Went back to smog boy, did the sniffer test and passed. One day shot.

Reply to
John Rutledge

If you already own the bug, then you shouldn't need to smog it. Thus, keep what you have and don't worry about it.

But don't even mention to a smog technician that it's a 1776 with a cam. There's no way to tell that via a simple visual inspection.

-Rob

John Rutledge wrote:

Reply to
Rob J

I feel your pain.

If I recall, Oregon has state-run smog check stations, right?

They tossed that idea around here in Calif but things stayed as they were. Each station is a private business rather than govt owned and operated.

-Rob

John Rutledge wrote:

Reply to
Rob J

That's right - it's another state run racket like the liquor control commission, lottery, etc. All that on top of the excessive personal and business taxes, local, state and regional governement taxes, fees, certificates, gas tas, etc. - oh, and they're trying to pass another income tax surcharge retroactive to 1/1/03. The businesses that can leave the state are and the economy is in the tank, highest unemployment - and these guys don't see the connection. Oops - ranting again...

Reply to
John Rutledge

Hiya All,

Up here in Ahregawn we do have state run smog checks from those lovable guys at the DEQ. And the fact that it's state run only goes to prove that incompetence shows up in the public sector as well as the private. I went in to have my 70 Bus DEQ'd (the term for an emissions check up here). The Bus is exempt but I thought I'd like to find out what the emissions picture for the bus was anyway. "Geez, we don't even have this in the computer." This, after I was told that, "Sure we can handle that!"

Reply to
Bookwus1

................I lived in New Jersey for about a year back in the early eighties and I can tell you that my visit to one of those state operated inspection stations was the most ridiculous encounter with a government agency that I've ever had in my entire 53 years on this planet. God help any of you if state administered inspections starts spreading from these unfortunate jurisdictions like Joisey & Boregon. I remember that years ago, Florida implemented state operated inspections and it created so much hostility & disobedience & corruption that the state legislature couldn't take care of any issue other than dismantling that entire system of state owned stations lest it get hammered in the elections. It was a genuine voters' rebellion that scared the crap out of some of those career politicians in Tallahassee. Of course, in Florida, things can get fouled up worse than in some other places........witness the last Presidential vote count.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

It's really a mixed-bag of of results here in Orygun - don't want to brand all public agencies the same. The county I live in has super hard-assed building inspectors but they're totally reasonable people. The result is safe structures, decks, etc. But there is some absurd stuff like an arts commission, illegal immigrant criminals getting kidney transplants in prison before poor kids get care, a public employee retirements system that is bankrupting the state, ... Oh, well - time to go tinker on the car... Out.

Reply to
John Rutledge

Let me recap this thread as it's gotten out of control and people have misqouted several points.

But first allow me to "prove" that for once, I know what I'm talking about. So far, none of the statements by others nor quotes from DMV sites etc that seem contrary are correct. I have been in the car biz forever, and until recently have been running a car auction for the past 3 plus years, so I "think" I know how the system here in Calif works in REAL LIFE.

RIGHT NOW, cars built in MODEL YEAR 1974 (and eralier) are exempt from smog checks. You do NOT need to have it inspected to sell or register it. They are EXEMPT. Period. No smog needed AT ALL.

Supposedly, as of the first of the year, 1975 MODEL YEAR and earlier also become exempt. The above also applies.

The smog test itself comprises THREE (not two) main elements:

1) The visual inpection where the technician actually looks to make sure all the gizmos are there and hooked up. 2) The functional test which checks for operation of those devices and checks the ignition timing 3) The actual sniff test which itself is in two parts, idle and high speed. Most areas nowadays use a dyno so this is automatic,

A couple of people have asked if their 1971 or their bus with 1776 engine (no year given) needs an inspection, re-read the above and see if you can figure out the answer on your own.

I hope this is clear and puts this crap to rest. I don't care to hear about what DMV's site says about this or that, all I know is the procedures that I've done every workday for the past 3 plus years in selling thousands of cars to the public----seems that is a little more realistic than some silly "code" written in their (DMV) books or website.

-ANT

Reply to
ANT